Creating one ethical leader at a time.
By Mr. Milton Fernando Mariani Rodriguez (TRADOC)January 7, 2020
FORT BENNING, GA - Members of the Institute's Center for Human Rights and Democracy converged with 11 high-ranking legal advisors from the Honduran Armed Forces at WHINSEC for a two-week Subject Matter Expert Exchange, that concluded today.
During the SMEE, participants exchanged experiences in the areas of International Human Rights Law(IHRL) and Law of Armed Conflict(LOAC)."There has been a great exchange of experiences amongst the participants, and with the assistance of Dr. Raimondo, CHRD director, we have taken great strides forward on the formation of Operational Legal Advisors," said Heidi Portillo, Director of the Directorate of Human Rights of the Honduran Armed Forces."This has been a project we have been working for about two years, with the assistance of the U.S. Southern Command (SOUTHCOM) Human Rights Office, Mrs. Bresnahan. We believe that operational commanders need an advisor who has human rights experience and training," added Portillo.Once finalized, the goal is to have a four-week basic course and a legal guide for the advisors.Also in attendance at the SMEE was COL Benedicto A. Chicas, Director of the Office of Human Rights for the Honduran Forces Joint Staff, talked about the importance of the dialog that had occurred during the course of the exchange and how it will be a crucial part on the creation of formation and training of the Operational Legal advisor for the operational commanders.Interviews with Mrs. Portillo and COL Chicas can be seen on our YouTube channel.
Mrs Heidi Portillo's interview: https://youtu.be/rWb9M6M3IqA
COL Benedicto A Chicas' interview: https://youtu.be/lqnWgOGwKto
- April 3, 2020FLW PX pharmacy begins curbside, drive-up services
- April 2, 2020Army & Air Force Exchange Service offers virtual fun for Month of the Military Child
- March 31, 2020With schools closed due to COVID-19, The Exchange provides meals for students
- March 27, 2020Fort Knox Exchange installs protective shields to continue serving customers safely
- March 25, 2020AAFES encourages customers to limit cash purchases to help fight spread of COVID-19
- March 25, 2020Army & Air Force Exchange Service continues serving military through COVID-19 pandemic
- March 24, 2020Schofield Barracks on ‘TAP’ to offer elite athlete program
- March 23, 2020Coronavirus: Steps You Should Take Right Now
- March 20, 2020First Army officer hits the right notes
- March 20, 2020Fort Rucker AAFES facilities adjust hours, services
- March 19, 2020Michigan National Guard helping distribute COVID-19 supplies
- March 12, 20206th annual Bersama Warrior exercise underway in Malaysia
- March 10, 2020JMC Delivers Global Munitions Readiness with Logistics Initiatives
- March 9, 2020Fort Knox, HRC to host Women's History Month observance March 31
- March 8, 2020Directorate of Human Resources implements new program for military families
- March 2, 2020Eat Right, Bite by Bite