10th Mountain CG recognizes Fort Drum volunteers
By Pvt. Anastasia RakowskyNovember 24, 2019
Twenty-two volunteers were recognized at Fort Drum's first Volunteer of the Quarter ceremony November 21, 2019. The volunteers were selected for their dedication, devotion, and commitment to the Soldiers and families on Fort Drum and within the surrounding communities.Mary Newton, one of the recipients of the Volunteer of the Quarter award, has been volunteering on and off post for over 10 years. Currently, she helps out with the Fort Drum Thrift Shop, which donates all profit from sales to organizations that support Fort Drum Soldiers and their families.
"It makes you feel good to give back to the community," said Newton.Beverly Haggard, another volunteer who was recognized, received two Volunteer of the Quarter awards from both the North Country Spouses Club, and from 2nd Helicopter Assault Battalion, 10th Aviation Regiment for her work as the leader of the Soldier and Family Readiness Group. Haggard organizes events and luncheons for the North Country Spouses Group, where she is the 2nd Vice President. As leader of the SFRG, her main role is to facilitate communication and support for the community. While the battalion is deployed, she helps families stay in contact with Soldiers overseas and gives them peace of mind.Part of the reason why Haggard volunteers is because it makes her feel happy to know that she had a positive impact on someone else's life."You meet some amazing people from all walks of life," Haggard said. "And it's free!"
Maj. Gen. Brian J. Mennes attended the ceremony and addressed the volunteers after they received their awards, thanking them for their service to the Soldiers and their families."I was struck by the essence of community in the thousands of words I heard today," said Mennes. "I was inspired by the words that were spoken here."
- March 16, 2020New Jersey's top recruiter finds inspiration in art
- March 12, 2020Army offers respite care for families
- March 11, 202010th Mountain Division partners with New York Air National Guard and Air Force for Joint Air-Ground
- March 11, 2020International Partnership in the 10th Mountain Division
- March 10, 20201st TSC volunteer recognized for her support to First Team families
- March 6, 2020Fort Jackson 'Family of the Year' named
- March 6, 2020Fort Drum Survivor Outreach Services to issue new digital access cards for eligible members
- March 5, 202010th Mountain Division Surgeon updates Fort Drum community on COVID-19
- March 4, 2020An exception to the norm: FLW NCO volunteers for second drill sergeant tour
- February 29, 20209th Mission Support Command volunteers at Special Olympics Basketball Tournament
- February 25, 2020German-American couple spends 30 years volunteering
- February 20, 2020Wormsloe offers volunteer opportunity, educational experience
- February 19, 2020Fort Greely Soldiers and Police help students at Delta Elementary School