Through the Ringer
By Ms. Becki Bryant (ATEC)November 21, 2019
Hot, dry, humid and cold -- Warfighters are immersed into extreme conditions, and Dugway's West Desert Test Center (WDTC) is ensuring that new Warfighter suits will hold up to those extreme conditions and still properly protect against a chemical or biological threat.
The formal test name is Uniform Integrated Protection Ensemble Family of Systems (UIPE FoS). It is a rigorous pretreatment of new suits, both under and over garments, for the Joint Services. The suits are shocked with a hot-dry, hot-humid and cold cyclical operational temperatures following U.S. Military standards MIL-STD 810G.
"We look to see if the extreme environments--high humidity, very dry conditions, and temperatures ranging from -28 degrees Fahrenheit to well over 100 degrees Fahrenheit--will cause the suits to fail," said John Tobler, WDTC chemist and test officer.
WDTC employees completed the environmental testing of the new suits in October. Another set of new suits is undergoing a 29-week accelerated aging test that simulates 10 years on the shelf. That test will be finished by the end of January 2020; then it's time for swatch testing, which will take swatches of the UIPE FoS tested suits and compare those to new swatches of the same material. The swatch tests will be conducted at the WDTC with its new Swatch Permeation Test Fixture, Reengineered (SPITFIRE).
For more information on SPITFIRE, visit https://www.dugway.army.mil/documents/TheDispatch-Vol5-No9-FINAL-Sep19.pdf
- June 25, 2020Colorado National Guard grows expertise in extreme weather
- May 22, 2020Air Operations at Fort Hunter Liggett
- May 18, 2020Severe spring weather season arrives in Kansas: Build a Kit, part 4
- May 11, 2020Severe spring weather season arrives in Kansas: Make a plan, part 3
- May 4, 2020Severe spring weather season arrives in Kansas: Be informed, part 2
- May 4, 2020Novel research speeds up threat detection, prevention for Army missions
- April 30, 2020Army researchers see path to quantum computing at room temperature
- April 29, 2020Severe spring weather season arrives in Kansas: Be informed, part 1
- April 22, 2020'Cause-play' - Dogface Soldier suits up as Batman to give back to community
- April 2, 2020Future Soldiers with coronavirus-related hardships may be eligible for pay before basic training
- March 6, 2020Single Soldier housing gets an upgrade
- March 3, 2020Fort Greely hosts Soldier and Marines in support of AE20
- February 21, 2020Sensor Managers lead the way
- January 23, 2020Historical cemeteries provide link to pre-FLW communities
- January 9, 2020USACE Buffalo District's Stow Field Office has a new location
- December 12, 2019Milley details DOD operations throughout the Middle East