Headquarters Battalion hosts Halloween Spooktacular
By Pfc. Jared SimmonsNovember 4, 2019
FORT RILEY, Kan.-- Headquarters and Headquarters Battalion, 1st Infantry Division, hosted a Halloween event for Soldiers and Families on October 29 at Fort Riley, Kansas.
The community-building event offered the battalion an opportunity to give back to its Soldiers and their Families.
"We focus a lot on our training, readiness and equipment readiness," said Lt. Col. John Brock, battalion commander for HHBN. "It's important to take a step back and ensure that our Family readiness is high too. The Army is one of those organizations that takes care of its Families and not just the Soldiers."
The event was a joint effort by HHBN's Headquarters Service Company and Signal Intelligence Sustainment company. The Commanding General's Mounted Color Guard and the 19th Public Affairs Detachment also helped out with the event.
SIS company hosted a family-friendly party with decorations, food and drinks, and a costume contest. The 19th PAD also created a static display within the SIS company area where Families could have a photo taken and sent to them after the event.
Inside, HSC created a haunted house complete with decorations and live volunteer actors. Outside, a trunk or treat event was available for children to get candy and the CGMCG gave free hayrides in a horse-drawn wagon.
"It was very family oriented, fun and well decorated," said Spc. Annelise Boyington, a Soldier in attendance with a child. "There were a lot of different events for everybody."
Participation and attendance at the event impressed the battalion's leadership.
"This far exceeded my expectations," Brock said. "A lot of people worked hard to put this together, and they should be recognized."
HHBN is planning to host more Soldier and Family-oriented events in the future. Among the planned events are a holiday party and a kid-friendly military ball.
- January 15, 2021U.S. Army STAND-TO! | Sergeant Major Assessment Program
- November 25, 2020Arlington National Cemetery announces Wreaths Across America event update
- September 8, 2020Army to host the first xTech 3 Summit, a premier technology showcase across the U.S.
- April 23, 2020Army announces upcoming 1st Cavalry Division Headquarters, unit rotation
- February 6, 2020Army Secretary Ryan D. McCarthy, other service secretaries, meet with housing executives
- January 17, 2020Army announces upcoming 10th Mountain Division Headquarters unit rotation
- October 2, 2019Army senior leaders discuss progress in reforming the Military Privatized Housing Initiative
- September 12, 2019Military leaders meet with privatized housing company executives
- September 12, 2019Department of the Army announces upcoming III Corps Headquarters deployment
- September 12, 2019Department of the Army announces upcoming 1st Armored Division Headquarters unit rotation
- September 12, 2019Army leadership meets with privatized housing partner CEOs
- September 12, 2019Department of the Army announces upcoming 1st Cavalry Division Headquarters unit rotation
- September 12, 2019Department of the Army announces upcoming 4th Infantry Division Headquarters deployment
- September 12, 2019Department of the Army announces upcoming 10th Mountain Division deployment
- September 12, 2019Department of the Army announces III Corps deployment
- September 12, 2019DA announces upcoming deployment