Headquarters Battalion hosts Halloween Spooktacular
By Pfc. Jared SimmonsNovember 4, 2019
FORT RILEY, Kan.-- Headquarters and Headquarters Battalion, 1st Infantry Division, hosted a Halloween event for Soldiers and Families on October 29 at Fort Riley, Kansas.
The community-building event offered the battalion an opportunity to give back to its Soldiers and their Families.
"We focus a lot on our training, readiness and equipment readiness," said Lt. Col. John Brock, battalion commander for HHBN. "It's important to take a step back and ensure that our Family readiness is high too. The Army is one of those organizations that takes care of its Families and not just the Soldiers."
The event was a joint effort by HHBN's Headquarters Service Company and Signal Intelligence Sustainment company. The Commanding General's Mounted Color Guard and the 19th Public Affairs Detachment also helped out with the event.
SIS company hosted a family-friendly party with decorations, food and drinks, and a costume contest. The 19th PAD also created a static display within the SIS company area where Families could have a photo taken and sent to them after the event.
Inside, HSC created a haunted house complete with decorations and live volunteer actors. Outside, a trunk or treat event was available for children to get candy and the CGMCG gave free hayrides in a horse-drawn wagon.
"It was very family oriented, fun and well decorated," said Spc. Annelise Boyington, a Soldier in attendance with a child. "There were a lot of different events for everybody."
Participation and attendance at the event impressed the battalion's leadership.
"This far exceeded my expectations," Brock said. "A lot of people worked hard to put this together, and they should be recognized."
HHBN is planning to host more Soldier and Family-oriented events in the future. Among the planned events are a holiday party and a kid-friendly military ball.
- August 7, 2020The 311th Signal Command (Theater) Earns Army Superior Unit Award
- August 6, 2020Testing en masse: 4,000 Fort Campbell Strike Brigade Soldiers tested for COVID-19 ahead of JRTC rotation
- August 5, 2020V Corps Headquarters (Forward) location announced
- August 5, 2020Summer Expo helps ready kids for school
- August 5, 20202CR Soldier Spotlight: Sgt. Benjamin Weston
- August 4, 2020Fort McCoy Sgt. Audie Murphy Club chapter holds first community event
- August 3, 2020Kansas engineers build readiness through facilities upgrades
- August 3, 2020Jackalope 6 reliquishes HHC command
- July 31, 2020USAG Bavaria’s HHC welcomes new first sergeant
- July 30, 20204960th MFTB conducts Engineer Course Amid Pandemic and Hurricane
- July 24, 2020Army Cyber Command ceremony heralds its arrival at new headquarters at Fort Gordon
- July 24, 2020JRTC Ops Gp hosts change of command
- July 23, 2020AMCOM Industry Days targets increasing supply availability
- July 23, 2020Army sponsorship program helps ease transition for Soldiers, Families