On and Off Post Housing at USAG Humphreys
Currently, there are nine housing towers on post with three to five-bedroom apartments. The units come furnished, to include all appliances, with the exception of a microwave. There are small personal storage areas, underground parking, playgrounds, ... (Photo Credit: U.S. Army) VIEW ORIGINAL

CAMP HUMPHREYS, Republic of Korea - A permanent change of station to Korea is a big move for any military family. There are many questions that come to mind when moving to a new location, with housing being one of the main concerns. Will we live on or off post? How large are the homes? Will we live in a single-family home or an apartment? Answers to these questions will vary widely.

"Once all family housing construction is complete [January 2022], 40 percent of the U.S. Army Garrison Humphreys' command sponsored population will reside on post, with the remaining 60 percent living off post," said Marcia Flowers, USAG Humphreys Housing chief.

At end state, Camp Humphreys will have a total of fifteen towers, providing about 1,110 homes for Soldiers and their families. This will be beneficial to newcomers in the Humphreys community when making plans for their upcoming move.

"The recent tower openings offer service members and their families a stateside environment, allowing them to utilize all the amenities the post has to offer," Flowers said.

Currently, there are nine housing towers on post, with three to five-bedroom apartments. The units come furnished, to include all appliances, with the exception of a microwave. There are small personal storage areas, underground parking, playgrounds, as well as outdoor entertainment areas equipped with grills and covered gazebos. The new housing towers are located within walking distance to schools, shopping, churches, and physical fitness facilities.

"There's a certain level of comfort being on post," said Candace Godfrey, a current Tower's resident. "We are able to walk more, drive less, and be close to many of the activities happening on post."

Off Post Housing

If there's no government housing available on post, the Garrison Housing Office will provide incoming families with a list of registered realtors to assist with the house hunting and the necessary paperwork needed to secure a home or an apartment.

There are a number of choices available when looking for a home in the surrounding communities, including high-rise apartment buildings, villa style apartments, and single-family homes. Most homes in the local area are new construction, with many of them using eco-friendly materials, in order to keep utility costs to a minimum.

"We were able to rent a home with solar panels, which has helped us save a tremendous amount of money on utility costs," said Tamara King, an off post resident.

In most cases, once a home or apartment has been secured, the realtor will continue to assist families with any questions or issues they may have. Families are encouraged to work closely with their realtors to resolve any questions and/or concerns.

"We want tenants and realtors/landlords to form relationships and work together if any issues arise," said Linda Slotosch, USAG Humphreys Housing Services chief. "However, the Housing Office is happy to assist with translation and answer questions, as well."

Either living on or off post, the Housing Office provides customer service to all military and civilian personnel stationed at Camp Humphreys.

"We moved to Korea not knowing what to expect and the housing office [here] helped make the house hunting and lease signing a less daunting process," said John Mason, a civil service employee. "We couldn't have been more pleased with the information we were given. It was a great way to begin a tour in a new country."

To receive housing availability, incoming accompanied service members (all ranks) and unaccompanied service members (E7 and above), will need to attend the in-processing brief at the Housing Office, located on the third floor of the Maude Hall (Bldg. 6400). The brief is offered every day, at 11 a.m., except for the second Thursday of each month, when they are closed for training. Service members will need to bring their PCS orders and Pin Point Orders to the brief.

Housing Office Hours of Operation are: Monday - Friday, from 8 a.m. - 4 p.m., and closed for lunch from 12:30 - 1:30 p.m. The office is closed on weekends, Federal holidays, and, as stated above, every second Thursday from 8 a.m. - 1:30 p.m., for training.

For more information, please call DSN 754-2647 or 050-3354-2647.