Service opportunities abound for National Public Lands Day
By Stacey ReeseOctober 23, 2019
Four Tulsa District, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers project offices have planned events in conjunction with National Public Lands Day, September 28.
Day use fees for boat ramps and swim beaches will be waived at all Tulsa District lake offices and at Corps lakes nationwide but Kaw, Keystone, Eufaula and Fort Supply project offices are hosting volunteer cleanup events in conjunction with NPLD.
Lake Eufaula's project office is hosting the second annual "Eufaula Lake Trash Bash." Volunteers may participate by boat or by land in the cleanup collaboration of Eufaula Lake and dam. The event kicks off from Lady Bird Landing at 9 a.m. Volunteers will receive free fee coupons and water safety items.
Kaw Lake will focus on Eagle Watch trail, with work beginning at 8 a.m. According to Ranger Ashley Haan, "Last year during National Public Lands Day, volunteers and Corps staff were able to clean up over three miles of the Eagle View Trail, paint two picnic shelters and stain the playground equipment in Osage Campground."
Keystone Lake staff will target Washington Irving South to repair the damage and debris left behind by the spring floods. "We need your help to make more progress with trail maintenance and cleaning up the day use area so we can look forward to reopening these amazing features back to the public," said Keystone Lake Ranger, Tyler Marye.
Fort Supply will concentrate efforts on litter and debris removal around the shorelines and areas surrounding the lake. Their event kicks off at 9 a.m. Volunteers should meet at the group picnic shelter next to the main boat ramp.
The National Park Service established National Public Lands Day in 1994 to promote environmental stewardship and use of public lands. Held annually on the fourth Saturday in September, the event has become the nation's largest single-day volunteer effort.
- August 6, 2020Education center expands services
- August 6, 2020RTC Safety Officer named ATEC Employee of the Quarter
- August 5, 2020Day two of ROTC Summer Camp in Puerto Rico
- August 5, 2020Public Health Activity - Italy welcomes new Leadership
- August 4, 2020Volunteers: The Heart of the Army Community
- August 4, 2020NYNG aviation Soldiers hone land navigation skills
- July 31, 2020Landings equaling takeoffs-an aviator remembers
- July 31, 2020USAG Bavaria recognizes 700 volunteers
- July 28, 2020ABOVE AND BEYOND -- Fort Rucker thanks, honors 2019’s volunteers of the year
- July 27, 2020Texas National Guard Soldier gives back to her community
- July 20, 2020Guardsmen bring food, hope to community during COVID-19
- July 17, 2020USAG Bavaria ACS recognizes community volunteers in honor of 55 years of service
- July 17, 2020Sticking the Landing
- July 16, 2020ACS shows appreciation to the 2019 volunteers with awards at intimate luncheon