Six Decades of Service
By Mr. Milton Fernando Mariani Rodriguez (TRADOC)October 28, 2019
FORT BENNING, GA - On September 27, 2019, the Institute honored one of its own as Mr Mauricio Lawson retired after 59 1/2 years of Service to the Nation.
Lawson's translated materials supported classroom instruction VIP visits, thousands of Field Studies trips to government centers and U.S. industry. His contributions helped train and educate nearly 100,000 military, pólice and civilian personnel from the Western Hemisphere.
A Civil Engineer graduate from the Panama National University, Lawson started civil Service as a typist in 1957 with the U.S. Army. Noticing his work quality, he was encouraged by a LTC to move on to become a translator.
"Translation requires much more than simply speaking more than one language, "It takes a strong understanding of grammar, and syntax, which takes many years", said Lawson.
"From typist I worked my way up to acting supervisor then retired in 1989, and after a 3 year break I came back in 1992 to serve as an editor. The school moved to Fort Benning, GA in 1984, but the translation department stayed back until 1986, and now after 59 years my final title is project manager, of the translation division.", he added.
- March 24, 2020Infantry Week, Sullivan Cup competitions postponed at Fort Benning as precaution against COVID-19
- March 23, 2020Maj. Gen. Jeffery Broadwater
- March 19, 2020Fort Benning’s top leader, in online forum, outlines precautions against COVID-19, calls for community-oriented ‘we’ mindset
- March 12, 2020Team refines JNN overhaul procedures, saves time
- March 9, 2020Fort Benning, with no COVID-19 cases, adopts screening, other precautionary measures
- March 3, 2020Arduous Sullivan Cup tank crew competition slated for Fort Benning in May
- February 28, 2020Fort Benning mounts drive to ease wait time for Family housing during summer 'surge'
- February 27, 2020JBLM to conduct demolitions, artillery and mortar training Feb. 29-March 13
- February 26, 2020Guardians name NCO and Soldier of the Year for 2020
- February 25, 2020DEFENDER-Europe 20 begins with 1st Combat Power arrival
- February 25, 2020Contact Information for the Logistics Modernization Program
- February 20, 2020DEFENDER-Europe 20, the Army Assessment
- February 20, 2020FSGA welcomes students with Georgia High School High Tech
- February 19, 2020JBLM conducts demolitions training Feb. 20
- February 11, 2020Carver Elementary career fair: Learning for tomorrow, today