Six Decades of Service
By Mr. Milton Fernando Mariani Rodriguez (TRADOC)October 28, 2019
FORT BENNING, GA - On September 27, 2019, the Institute honored one of its own as Mr Mauricio Lawson retired after 59 1/2 years of Service to the Nation.
Lawson's translated materials supported classroom instruction VIP visits, thousands of Field Studies trips to government centers and U.S. industry. His contributions helped train and educate nearly 100,000 military, pólice and civilian personnel from the Western Hemisphere.
A Civil Engineer graduate from the Panama National University, Lawson started civil Service as a typist in 1957 with the U.S. Army. Noticing his work quality, he was encouraged by a LTC to move on to become a translator.
"Translation requires much more than simply speaking more than one language, "It takes a strong understanding of grammar, and syntax, which takes many years", said Lawson.
"From typist I worked my way up to acting supervisor then retired in 1989, and after a 3 year break I came back in 1992 to serve as an editor. The school moved to Fort Benning, GA in 1984, but the translation department stayed back until 1986, and now after 59 years my final title is project manager, of the translation division.", he added.
- July 15, 2020Liberian perseveres, becomes Oklahoma National Guard captain
- July 14, 2020AER helps Soldiers impacted by COVID-19; still needs your help
- July 13, 2020LOGCAP Support Brigade conducts change of command ceremony
- July 9, 2020Partnership in the Pacific – Army Reserve Nurse Provides Medical Care for Coast Guard Unit
- July 8, 2020NCO academy at Fort Benning mounting in-depth defenses against COVID-19
- July 8, 2020Readying the fleet for SFAB Soldier mission communications
- July 2, 2020224th MI hosts mentorship ride
- July 2, 2020Winn ACH Soldier deploys to COVID-19 frontline
- June 30, 2020“The potential is astonishing” : 10th Mountain Division Soldiers Test New ENVG-B Capabilities
- June 29, 2020For household moves at Fort Benning, COVID-19 changes traditional timeline, methods
- June 26, 2020Senior officials given insight into Fort Benning's energy, housing, barracks, other efforts
- June 23, 2020June 1950: The Georgia National Guard and the Korean War
- June 22, 2020Yakima Training Center welcomes new commander