New commander at Special Operations Aviation Command
By Mr. Mark Schauer (ATEC)October 3, 2019
The U.S. Army Special Operations Aviation Command held a change of command ceremony at Yuma Proving Ground (YPG) on Sept. 19 with Capt. Jarod Steen assuming command of the Yuma flight detachment from Chief Warrant Officer 5 Christopher Eicher.The flight detachment has supported training operations of the John F. Kennedy Special Warfare Center and School's Military Free Fall School (MFFS) at YPG since 2014. The MFFS has utilized the proving ground's vast ranges to train thousands of the military's most elite paratroopers since opening in 1996.Steen assumes the post as the detachment's second commander. The detachment safely flew in excess of 1,500 missions and 8,200 sorties during Eicher's tenure, which earned high praise.
"He built the flight detachment from the ground up and executed missions for the school within 18 hours of the first aircraft arriving on station," said Maj. Bryan Pierce, company commander. "During his tenure as the unit detachment commander, the unit maintained an over 99% mission support rate and established a brand name reputation known for military free fall mission support west of the Mississippi."Steen said he is ready to hit the ground running.
"It's a privilege to command and I'm looking forward to what the future will bring," he said. "I thank the Soldiers and civilians for welcoming me to the command and continuing to make the mission happen on a daily basis."The flight detachment maintains and flies the C27J, formerly used as a niche cargo plane to supplement the larger C-130. The aircraft was extensively tested at YPG prior to being fielded and is regarded by many as a high performance aircraft. It achieves altitude more quickly than the aircraft formerly used to support the MFFS prior to the creation of the flight detachment, and also accommodates two to three times as many jumpers at a time, which has contributed to a significant expansion of MFFS training opportunities in recent years.
- March 26, 2020Joint team ensures hypersonic test success
- March 26, 2020First Army senior NCO cooks up winning formula
- March 25, 2020Future Vertical Lift: Army selects Future Attack Reconnaissance Aircraft prototype performers
- March 20, 2020Department of Defense tests hypersonic glide body
- March 20, 20209th Mission Support Command Deputy Surgeon Saves a Life during a 7-Hour Flight Oversees
- March 19, 2020FLW PAO wins AMC, IMCOM awards
- March 19, 2020Transportation unit, instructor win Marine Corps-level awards
- March 18, 2020PEO Aviation announces Future Long Range Assault Aircraft Awards
- March 12, 2020Accelerated goal for future vertical lift will be met, leaders say
- March 7, 2020Renovation of the U.S. Army John F. Kennedy Special Warfare Museum
- March 4, 2020Diversity and Inclusion -- the link to JMC's Strategic Success!
- March 4, 2020Cobra Gold 20: Airmen in the Army
- March 2, 2020Cobra Gold 20: AH-64 maintainer keeps birds in the air
- February 27, 2020Sergeant Major of the Marine Corps visits Fort Sill Marine Artillery Detachment
- February 18, 2020Fort Rucker's 6th MP detachment wins TRADOC military police unit award
- February 13, 2020Airborne test jumpers apply risk reduction tests before equipment tests begin