USARPAC Best Warriors train for Army competition
By Sgt. Ian Vega-CerezoSeptember 5, 2019
CAMP CASEY, Republic of Korea - The 2nd Infantry Division/Republic of Korea-U.S. Combined Division hosted a rigorous train up for the U.S. Army Best Warrior Competition at Rodriguez Live Fire Complex, August 27-28.
The train up was held to give USARPAC Best Warriors, Sgt. Jeremy Kimbrough, an information technology specialist with 2ID/RUCD; and Spc. Alexander Vandermark, a patriot missile system repairer from Andersen Air Force Base, Guam, some training to help them prepare for the U.S. Army Best Warrior Competition at Fort A.P. Hill, Va., and the Pentagon from Oct. 6 to Oct. 11, 2019.
"The training consisted of keeping in shape and rucking which is really strenuous," said Kimbrough. "There are obstacle courses which we try to complete in the most efficient and quick way and we also have weapons systems that we train on and board material."
The training Kimbrough and Vandermark received went more in-depth than the battle drills that are typical of team or squad based training.
"The events that we're running are not like your typical squad-team exercise lanes that a platoon or a squad would run," said Sgt. 1st Class Matthew Dillon, operations NCO, Headquarters Support Company, Headquarters and Headquarters Battalion, 2ID/RUCD. "We're running scenario-based training covering 20 different scenarios from urban land navigation, weapons, survive evade resist escape (SERE) training and a multitude of events that they may be tested on at the Army Best Warrior Competition this October."
Both competitors have their own motivations driving them through the training and upcoming competition.
"The reason I started Best Warrior was to see how far I could go at first," said Vandermark. "Somewhere down the line after I won the 94th competition, I decided the training I was getting was pretty good. So I was looking to retain it to bring the skills I learned back to my unit."
"I'm a competitor," said Kimbrough. "That keeps me motivated because I don't really like to lose. Winning matters."
- July 1, 2020Public Notice for Position Being Filled Under Direct Hire Authority(DHA) - General Engineers (Systems Security)
- June 30, 2020Acquisition writing competition empowers workforce, drives dialogue
- June 30, 2020Army volunteers encourage student innovation during national STEM competition
- June 29, 2020Public Notice for Position Being Filled Under Direct Hire Authority(DHA) - Program Analyst
- June 27, 2020JBLM’s unit for Soldier recovery transitions
- June 25, 2020Soldiers earn 2020 Best Warrior selection for 20th CBRNE Command
- June 23, 2020SDDC welcomes its 22nd commanding general
- June 19, 202032nd HC hosts change of command ceremony
- June 18, 2020Texas Guard team wins first NGB innovation competition
- June 16, 2020Fort Drum’s Warrior Transition Unit re-designates, reflags as Soldier Recovery Unit
- June 15, 2020Warrior Transition Battalion prepares to take on new “SRU” designation
- June 12, 2020Fort Polk celebrates 2020 NCO/SOY at Warrior Center ceremony
- May 29, 2020Ivy Soldiers Participate in Best Warrior Competition