USARPAC Best Warriors train for Army competition
By Sgt. Ian Vega-CerezoSeptember 5, 2019
CAMP CASEY, Republic of Korea - The 2nd Infantry Division/Republic of Korea-U.S. Combined Division hosted a rigorous train up for the U.S. Army Best Warrior Competition at Rodriguez Live Fire Complex, August 27-28.
The train up was held to give USARPAC Best Warriors, Sgt. Jeremy Kimbrough, an information technology specialist with 2ID/RUCD; and Spc. Alexander Vandermark, a patriot missile system repairer from Andersen Air Force Base, Guam, some training to help them prepare for the U.S. Army Best Warrior Competition at Fort A.P. Hill, Va., and the Pentagon from Oct. 6 to Oct. 11, 2019.
"The training consisted of keeping in shape and rucking which is really strenuous," said Kimbrough. "There are obstacle courses which we try to complete in the most efficient and quick way and we also have weapons systems that we train on and board material."
The training Kimbrough and Vandermark received went more in-depth than the battle drills that are typical of team or squad based training.
"The events that we're running are not like your typical squad-team exercise lanes that a platoon or a squad would run," said Sgt. 1st Class Matthew Dillon, operations NCO, Headquarters Support Company, Headquarters and Headquarters Battalion, 2ID/RUCD. "We're running scenario-based training covering 20 different scenarios from urban land navigation, weapons, survive evade resist escape (SERE) training and a multitude of events that they may be tested on at the Army Best Warrior Competition this October."
Both competitors have their own motivations driving them through the training and upcoming competition.
"The reason I started Best Warrior was to see how far I could go at first," said Vandermark. "Somewhere down the line after I won the 94th competition, I decided the training I was getting was pretty good. So I was looking to retain it to bring the skills I learned back to my unit."
"I'm a competitor," said Kimbrough. "That keeps me motivated because I don't really like to lose. Winning matters."
- January 12, 2021U.S. Army STAND-TO! | “What’s Your Warrior?” Chapter 2
- December 21, 2020U.S. Army Hosts the DoD Warrior Games in September 2021
- October 13, 2020Army announces winners of prestigious 2020 competition awards
- September 11, 2020Army Brain Operant Learning Technology competition accepting applications until Sept. 15
- June 3, 2020Two Army Installations selected for 5G testing and experimentation
- May 12, 2020U.S. Army Cadet Command makes changes to summer training programs in response to COVID-19
- April 6, 2020U.S. Army places temporary hold on new recruits to basic training
- January 16, 2020Army decides to cancel current OMFV solicitation
- November 5, 2019Army Warrior Care and Transition Program Restructures
- October 4, 2019Japan, U.S. Medics tackle realistic combat casualty care
- October 4, 2019Secretary of the Army approves new advanced manufacturing policy
- September 12, 2019Department of the Army announces upcoming 2nd Security Force Assistance Brigade unit rotation
- September 12, 20194th Inf. Div. Soldiers killed in training accident
- September 12, 2019Department of the Army announces upcoming deployment of the 1st Security Force Assistance Brigade
- September 12, 2019Army Hosts Industry Day for Improved Medium Tactical Vehicles
- September 12, 2019Army announces Oregon Guardsman to receive Soldiers Medal: Specialist subdued gunman on Paris-bound