USARAK Conducts Change of Command Ceremony
By Spc. Demarco Wills (USARAK)July 17, 2019
Maj. Gen. Peter Andrysiak assumed command of U.S. Army Alaska from Maj. Gen. Mark O'Neil in a change of command ceremony at Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson's Pershing Field July 16.
In his remarks, the reviewing officer Lt. Gen. Gary Volesky, the commanding general of I Corps and Joint Base Lewis-McChord gave praise to O'Neil's hard work and commitment during his time as the USARAK commander.
He spoke about O'Neil's commitment to Soldier readiness and highlighted his work with the USARAK Sharpshooter program.
Volesky mentioned some of USARAK's contributions to the Army's overall warfighting and training readiness, including Arctic Anvil, the largest Army exercise to take place in Alaska since 2001.
O'Neil stated in his remarks that it was an honor to lead the Soldiers of USARAK.
"I am grateful to have served with each of you," O'Neil said.
In his final remarks, O'Neil challenged the formation to continue to lead, adapt and grow.
Andrysiak returned to USARAK, having served as the 2nd Engineer Brigade commander before its inactivation in 2015.
"It's great to be back in Alaska. It's great to be back on familiar ground," said Andrysiak,
"We have a large, diverse team," Andrysiak said, "We work alongside our Air Force partners to serve a multifaceted mission."
He complimented the work O'Neil performed during his tenure as the USARAK commander.
"There are not any major changes that need to be made," Andrysiak said, "When I look at my priorities versus his, they look roughly the same and are just written differently."
He stated his focus will continue to be on readiness along with leader development, teamwork, and resilience.
Andrysiak takes command after having served as the U.S. Army Pacific chief of staff.
- June 25, 2020Former Alaska National Guard TAG is NGB inspector general
- June 19, 2020Alaska Guard airlifts 'Into the Wild' bus from Stampede Trail
- June 15, 2020Senior leaders celebrate Army’s diversity over past 245 years
- June 9, 2020CYBER SNAPSHOT: Barbara Flynn
- June 1, 2020National Guard supports NASA launch, other space missions
- June 1, 2020Army's FAST Advisors pursue rapid solutions for Soldiers
- May 22, 2020PD CTIS Equipment Supports Remote Military Station Survey and Rebuilding
- May 19, 2020Alaska Army National Guard rescues injured man near Noorvik
- May 16, 2020Riggers break out ‘secret weapon’ to conclude AFSBn-NEA COSIS mission
- May 15, 2020Greely FMWR becomes new owners of MDA temporary lodging
- May 15, 2020Alaska National Guard Soldiers help safeguard Kodiak Harbor
- May 1, 2020A Day in the life of the quarantine barracks
- April 29, 2020Alaska National Guard responds to COVID-19 threat
- April 28, 2020Fort Greely celebrates Month of the Military Child
- April 23, 2020COVID-19 response; beyond medical preparedness