USARAK Conducts Change of Command Ceremony
By Spc. Demarco Wills (USARAK)July 17, 2019
Maj. Gen. Peter Andrysiak assumed command of U.S. Army Alaska from Maj. Gen. Mark O'Neil in a change of command ceremony at Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson's Pershing Field July 16.
In his remarks, the reviewing officer Lt. Gen. Gary Volesky, the commanding general of I Corps and Joint Base Lewis-McChord gave praise to O'Neil's hard work and commitment during his time as the USARAK commander.
He spoke about O'Neil's commitment to Soldier readiness and highlighted his work with the USARAK Sharpshooter program.
Volesky mentioned some of USARAK's contributions to the Army's overall warfighting and training readiness, including Arctic Anvil, the largest Army exercise to take place in Alaska since 2001.
O'Neil stated in his remarks that it was an honor to lead the Soldiers of USARAK.
"I am grateful to have served with each of you," O'Neil said.
In his final remarks, O'Neil challenged the formation to continue to lead, adapt and grow.
Andrysiak returned to USARAK, having served as the 2nd Engineer Brigade commander before its inactivation in 2015.
"It's great to be back in Alaska. It's great to be back on familiar ground," said Andrysiak,
"We have a large, diverse team," Andrysiak said, "We work alongside our Air Force partners to serve a multifaceted mission."
He complimented the work O'Neil performed during his tenure as the USARAK commander.
"There are not any major changes that need to be made," Andrysiak said, "When I look at my priorities versus his, they look roughly the same and are just written differently."
He stated his focus will continue to be on readiness along with leader development, teamwork, and resilience.
Andrysiak takes command after having served as the U.S. Army Pacific chief of staff.
- October 21, 20203D environments to play larger role in Project Convergence 2021
- October 21, 2020Army to widen reach of health study on COVID-19
- October 21, 2020Army engineers demonstrate selfless service post Hurricane Laura
- October 22, 2020DOD continues prioritizing families, people throughout pandemic
- October 20, 2020Progress marches on for more diverse Army
- October 20, 2020Army Reserve combat medic gets frontline experience
- October 20, 2020ReARMM to help stabilize training, modernization, mission requirements
- October 20, 2020Army Medicine Europe maintains robust COVID testing and reporting process
- October 19, 2020New terminal scanner screens temperatures to improve safety
- October 19, 2020Army recruiters help WWII Veteran fulfill lifelong dream
- October 16, 2020Historic V Corps activates at Fort Knox on ‘picture perfect’ day
- October 19, 2020Army to research additive manufacturing with University of Maryland
- October 16, 2020Senior leaders discuss housing reform, quality of life initiatives