Final bell rings for Yongsan schools
By Kenji Thuloweit, Eighth Army Public AffairsJune 3, 2019
After 60 years of educating American children in South Korea, U.S. Army Garrison Yongsan schools are closing their doors.
A closure ceremony was held for the Seoul School Complex inside Seoul American High School's Falcon Gym June 3.
Current and former students, faculty and military members gathered for one last time to reminisce about the Yongsan schools that have served the U.S. military since 1959."The importance of the Department of Defense schools to Eighth Army is immeasurable, every child crossing the threshold of these facilities symbolize the path the Army makes for their Soldiers and their families," said Lt. Gen. Michael A. Bills, Eighth Army commander. "Although we are shutting doors on these facilities, the schools' legacy will live on in the enduring ROK-US alliance and in the hearts of the schools' graduates... Today we celebrate that legacy and reflect with pride on the experience and achievements of students and faculty at Seoul American Elementary, Middle and High School."
Units began relocating to Camp Humphreys, South Korea, in 2017 as part of the Yongsan Relocation Program, which saw all major units including Eighth Army relocate to U.S. Army Garrison Humphreys.Throughout six decades, the American schools in Seoul have had hundreds of teachers, staff and faculty responsible for producing nearly 5,900 high school graduates of U.S. military-connected children, according to Department of Defense Education Activity Pacific.
The final school bell for the Seoul American School Complex will ring June 14 when the schools close their doors permanently.
- August 11, 2020Back-to School Immunizations: What you need to know
- August 10, 2020DoDEA prepares to welcome students back to a safe and COVID-free environment
- August 7, 2020Summer Interns Broaden Their Experience, Contribute to the NTC Mission
- August 7, 2020Front door, front line: Pharmacy operations adjust to keep pace during pandemic
- August 6, 2020Field artillery branch welcomes new command team
- August 6, 2020MacArthur Elementary School counselor earns state award
- August 6, 2020Wiesbaden ACS to host Back to School celebration
- August 6, 2020Pathways program welcomes 39 new students
- August 5, 2020Summer Expo helps ready kids for school
- July 30, 2020Fort Rucker names new school LTG (R) Ellis D. Parker Elementary School
- July 30, 2020Fort Leavenworth school start pushed back to Sept. 8
- July 30, 2020New Commissary opens doors at Brunssum
- July 29, 2020USAG Yongsan-Casey: AER slow-start no problem amid COVID-19
- July 13, 2020USAG Yongsan-Casey hosts virtual Change of Command