Final bell rings for Yongsan schools
By Kenji Thuloweit, Eighth Army Public AffairsJune 3, 2019
After 60 years of educating American children in South Korea, U.S. Army Garrison Yongsan schools are closing their doors.
A closure ceremony was held for the Seoul School Complex inside Seoul American High School's Falcon Gym June 3.
Current and former students, faculty and military members gathered for one last time to reminisce about the Yongsan schools that have served the U.S. military since 1959."The importance of the Department of Defense schools to Eighth Army is immeasurable, every child crossing the threshold of these facilities symbolize the path the Army makes for their Soldiers and their families," said Lt. Gen. Michael A. Bills, Eighth Army commander. "Although we are shutting doors on these facilities, the schools' legacy will live on in the enduring ROK-US alliance and in the hearts of the schools' graduates... Today we celebrate that legacy and reflect with pride on the experience and achievements of students and faculty at Seoul American Elementary, Middle and High School."
Units began relocating to Camp Humphreys, South Korea, in 2017 as part of the Yongsan Relocation Program, which saw all major units including Eighth Army relocate to U.S. Army Garrison Humphreys.Throughout six decades, the American schools in Seoul have had hundreds of teachers, staff and faculty responsible for producing nearly 5,900 high school graduates of U.S. military-connected children, according to Department of Defense Education Activity Pacific.
The final school bell for the Seoul American School Complex will ring June 14 when the schools close their doors permanently.
- May 26, 2020MWR childcare reopens in Phase 1
- May 21, 2020Spotlight: Graduating high school in a COVID environment
- May 21, 2020CSMS eighth graders 'graduate' midst COVID-19
- May 21, 2020Mobile Texas National Guard team conducts COVID-19 tests
- May 21, 2020Retiring Camp Zama teacher reflects on 33 years of service
- May 20, 2020Georgia National Guard helps feed school kids
- May 20, 2020Local students discuss their experiences with digital learning during COVID-19
- May 19, 2020‘AMAZING STAFF’ -- Fort Rucker Schools closes out historic year, looks to future in new facility
- May 16, 2020Class of 2020 celebrates May 15 graduation parade under overcast conditions
- May 14, 2020Fort Campbell High School Class of 2020 salutatorian reflects on academic journey, shares positive message
- May 14, 2020Fort Campbell High School Class of 2020 valedictorian counts his blessings
- May 14, 2020Fort Campbell High School Class of 2020 marks graduation with virtual ceremony
- May 12, 2020America’s only missile defense brigade 'deployed in place'