WHAT'S IN A NAME? -- Kenneth Shoemaker Jr.
By Fort Knox PAOMay 29, 2019
(Editor's Note: This and subsequent articles are monthly features reflecting on the namesakes of memorialized facilities at Fort Knox.)Building 1002, located on 1st Cavalry Regiment Road in front of Brooks Parade Field, is home to U.S. Army Cadet Command and Fort Knox headquarters. The facility is memorialized after 1st Lt. Kenneth Shoemaker Jr.Shoemaker, who had roots in Owensboro, Kentucky and was active in the church, was a part of the Army Nurse Corps. He was on temporary duty at 71st Evacuation Hospital in Pleiku, Vietnam, Nov. 20-30, 1967, where he was part of a surgical team caring for a large number of acute casualties. Upon his return to 67th Evacuation Hospital in Qui Nhon, Vietnam, Nov. 30, the aircraft he was traveling in crashed, killing all aboard.Shoemaker's awards and decorations include the Bronze Star Medal, National Defense Service Medal, Vietnam Service Medal with 1 Bronze Service Star, Republic of Vietnam Campaign Ribbon with Device (1960), and the Republic of Vietnam Cross of Gallantry with Palm Unit Citation Badge.
- June 4, 202042nd Infantry Division Soldiers reunite in Kuwait
- June 3, 2020Barr hosts ‘Dig Deeper!’ summer reading program June 1 to July 20
- May 31, 2020A virtual Memorial Day chapel service with Chaplain (Maj.) David Hicks
- May 29, 2020A legacy of excellence: A WWII Iron Soldier’s tale
- May 28, 2020Memorial Day ceremony held at McClellan
- May 27, 2020Memorial Day observance in the time of COVID-19
- May 27, 202020th CBRNE Soldiers volunteer to feed those in need
- May 27, 2020New COVID-19 roadside advisories help assess risk when traveling off-post
- May 25, 2020Memorial Day observed with virtual ceremony
- May 22, 202010th Mountain Division and Fort Drum remember the fallen
- May 21, 20208th TSC Memorial Day Message
- May 21, 2020Fort Leonard Wood senior leaders surprise Soldier with President’s Volunteer Service Award
- May 21, 2020Memorial Day Message