Army ROTC Cadets take to the skies above the New River Valley
By Captain Brian FrancisMay 2, 2019
Radford, Va. - Cadets from Virginia Tech and Radford University Army ROTC recently deployed to their spring field training exercise on the 25th to the 27th of April aboard Virginia National Guard Blackhawk helicopters flown by Richmond's 2-224th Aviation Battalion.For the flight crews, these were training flights, but for the cadets, it was true experience. Cadets were flown from the Virginia Tech campus to the site of their training exercise at Radford Army Ammunition Plant's New River Unit in Dublin, Virginia. The helicopters made trips all morning and into the early afternoon transporting cadets, and providing most with their first experience in an Army aircraft or a helicopter.
During the early afternoon on Friday, storms blew into the area and flights temporarily halted until conditions improved. Once they did, the Blackhawks and their crews were back in flight transporting the last groups of cadets to their training destination.
On the ground, ROTC Cadre members supervised the unloading and loading of cadets safely and quickly making the most of the flight time available. Once they landed at the New River Unit, the cadets trained using infantry tactics to develop leadership skills, and prepare themselves for commissioning as second lieutenants in the United States Army. In groups of 35, the cadets practiced small unit maneuvers and trained on land navigation while being assessed in their leadership competencies and attributes.ROTC cadre coordinated the aerial partnership with the Virginia National Guard to provide the Cadets with exciting, memorable, and realistic training.
- August 4, 2020W.Va. Guard highlights COVID-19 response for July
- August 3, 2020Seagrass restoration part of lower Chesapeake Bay Watershed ecosystem project
- August 3, 2020ROTC Summer Camp, Operation Agile Leader begins in Puerto Rico!
- August 3, 2020Virginia National Guard mobilizes for Tropical Storm Isaias
- July 31, 2020Transportation Corps, 58th Trans. Bn. observe anniversaries one day apart
- July 30, 2020Soft spoken but a fighter, Walker commands CBT this summer
- July 30, 2020West Point cadets conduct new Army Rifle Qualification Test
- July 28, 2020W. Va. Guard, Peruvian Air Force share ideas on COVID-19
- July 28, 2020W.Va. Future Leaders Program prepares for new academic year
- July 24, 20203 MICC contracting offices combine virtual outreach to industry
- July 23, 2020SFAB team teaches patrolling skills to cadets
- July 23, 2020Shekleton and McDonald take command of atypical Cadet Field Training
- July 22, 2020COVID-19 Contact | ALU's Quick Digital Embrace Drove Distance-Learning Success
- July 20, 2020Task Force helps Virginia respond to COVID-19 pandemic
- July 17, 2020Cadet Command welcomes new Command Sergeant Major