A board of officers including Col. James W. Forsyth, according to 'An Army Hospital: From Dragoons to Rough Riders' by George E. Omer Jr., met in February 1888 to decide on the location of a new hospital on Fort Riley. This hospital, north of main post, was to be the post's second permanent hospital.
Construction began soon after due to the increase in garrison population and, according to iach.amedd.army.mil/history.html, the right wing of the hospital was completed later that year. A three-story wing made from limestone was added in 1906.
According to 'An Army Hospital: From Horses to Helicopters' by Omer the south wing was completed in 1909 and Maj. Joseph H. Ford, medical corps, was post surgeon. During this time, the second permanent hospital was turned into 'Section K' and became the surgical services.
It was not long before this, in 1907, that surgeons and hospital stewards "were reduced to a common military denominator and were addressed simply and drably by title of rank."
According to home.army.mil/riley/application/files/8715/0412/1445/DrivingTour.pdf, 1948 saw the end of the second permanent post hospital as it moved to its third location on post. The second permanent hospital was remodeled and turned into post headquarters.
In 1956, the website states, it was renamed Summerall Hall after General Charles P. Summerall. Summerall commanded the 1st Infantry Division from July to October 1918, September 1919 to April 1920 and from July 1920 to July 1921.