CCAD hosts sexual assault awareness fair
By Brian NestorApril 23, 2019
CORPUS CHRISTI ARMY DEPOT, Texas - The Corpus Christi Army Depot hosted a Sexual Assault & Alcohol Awareness Information Fair in support of National Sexual Assault Awareness and Prevention Month, April 18.
Sexual Assault Awareness Month is a campaign to raise public awareness about sexual violence and educate communities on how to prevent it. The campaign theme, I Ask, champions the message that asking for consent is a healthy, normal, and necessary part of everyday interactions.
More than half a dozen social services groups from throughout the state participated in the fair, to include The Purple Door (Women's Shelter of South Texas), Child Advocacy Center of the Coastal Bend, Corpus Christi Police Department Family Violence Unit, and Bayview Behavioral Hospital.
Depot employees had the opportunity to learn more about important topics that could affect the workplace such as sexual assault, child abuse prevention, and smoking- and alcohol-related issues, said Ruben Ramirez, Prevention Coordinator, CCAD.
"It's about reinforcing a commitment to help employees and their families who may be struggling with physical or mental health issues," said Ramirez.
Organizations such as The Purple Door - a group that focuses on victims and survivors of domestic and sexual violence - brought forth their own commitment as they shared literature and important tools to educate all employees.
"Events like this one has allowed The Purple Door to create dialogue with people in the community and spread awareness about important topics like sexual assault awareness," said Griffin Eagan, an employee of The Purple Door.
Ramirez said there are plans to continue this annual event and possibly expand community involvement for a wider range of educational topics.
- May 29, 2020Spreading mental health awareness during COVID-19
- May 27, 2020Class of 2020 starts returning to West Point for out-processing, graduation
- May 26, 2020Bastogne medic joins BACH in fight against COVID-19
- May 26, 2020Run for the Fallen: No Slack Soldiers honor generations of heroes
- May 15, 2020Depot artisans upgrade enduring fleet
- May 14, 2020DoDEA Americas names new Kentucky Community schools superintendent
- May 12, 2020PHC-P Soldier recognized as 2020 MEDCOM Exceptional SARC
- May 12, 2020Corpus Christi Army Depot uses limited resources to make an impact
- May 8, 2020CPAC transitions to virtual in-processing amid COVID-19
- April 29, 2020Cadets run 48 miles to raise awareness for sexual assault, harassment
- April 28, 2020Fort Knox SHARP coordinator provides virtual help, education during ‘new normal’
- April 28, 2020Sexual Assault Awareness and Prevention Month
- April 25, 202013th ESC SHARP team helps a create culture of trust, resilience
- April 25, 2020NY Guard runs 'virtual' 5k for sexual assault awareness