Dressed to the nines
By Amanda Ravenstein, 1st Inf. Div. PostApril 17, 2019
The Gift the Gown and Suit event March 23 at Army Community Service was buzzing with activity while attendees moved between looking at and trying on dresses, to getting their hair and makeup done or getting a massage from students of Bellus Academy from Manhattan, Kansas."Bellus has partnered with us for years when they can," said Jane Brookshire, installation volunteer coordinator, ACS. "If I can help these people get their hair done, their makeup and help make them feel pretty, it's even better."Rachel Reeve, wife of Staff Sgt. Guy Reeve, 1st Battalion, 7th Field Artillery Regiment, 2nd Armored Brigade Combat Team, 1st Infantry Division, said she was surprised at the dress she found because of the color."I'm actually very surprised I picked the red one," she said. "Because I said I would never wear red after high school."She said she was happy about attending the event."It gives me a time to just be pampered while my husband is still away at [National Training Center, Fort Irwin, California,]" she said.
By 1 p.m., more than 100 people attended the event and more than 55 had said "Yes" to a dress according to Brookshire.
- June 18, 2020Three Packs to 30 Miles: Sgt. 1st Class Robert Reeves
- June 6, 2020More than 4,000 Guard members on duty in D.C.
- April 9, 2020Commentary: I ruined my son’s hair and earned a greater respect for barbers
- February 19, 2020Iowa National Guard uses moulage for realistic medical training
- February 18, 2020Fort Detrick contractor donates hair for cancer patient wigs
- February 14, 2020CYS teaches Belvoir teens healthy cooking
- February 7, 2020Corps donates toiletries to Los Angeles women's center in honor of King's legacy
- November 5, 2019Dallas Cowboys host baby shower
- November 1, 201910th Mountain CG promotes Soldiers during training exercise
- October 29, 2019Army wrestler takes silver at Military World Games
- September 12, 2019It's not about your hair, it's about your heart
- September 12, 2019Soldier's unwavering support leads to top position in volunteer organization
- September 12, 2019Spc. Drew Joyner and Pfc. Lauren Jahn: Two of a kind
- September 12, 201951st Trans. Co. strengthens their fleet to meet needs of the future
- September 12, 201940th ESB welcomes Commander LTC Reeves