ASMDA launches Space Camp scholarships
By Jason CutshawApril 9, 2019
HUNTSVILLE, Alabama -- Instead of making S'mores over a fire, some lucky students will get a chance to camp among the stars.The Air, Space and Missile Defense Association is offering 16 scholarships for selected children to attend a weeklong Space Camp from July 30-July 5 at the U.S. Space and Rocket Center.These scholarships are open to any military or civilian children, ages 9-11, of a parent or guardian assigned to U.S. Space and Missile Defense Command/Army Forces Strategic Command; Joint Functional Component Command for Integrated Missile Defense; Program Executive Office for Missiles and Space; Aviation and Missile Command; Aviation and Missile Research, Development and Engineering Center; Missile and Space Intelligence Center; NASA's Marshall Space Flight Center; Missile Defense Agency; and those who are contractors working for corporate members of ASMDA."We are very excited about the opportunity we are offering our military and employees of the ASMDA community," said Al Kemmet, ASMDA president. "The ability to provide this wonderful experience to 16 young children who probably would not otherwise have an opportunity to attend is very rewarding."The ASMDA scholarship includes one week at Space Camp, round-trip airfare and unaccompanied minor fee (if required), transportation to and from Huntsville International Airport to the U.S. Space & Rocket Center (if required) and a Space Camp flight suit.As the timeline for receiving applications and awarding the scholarships is very tight, ASMDA will not accept applications after the deadline on May 1. The goal is to notify the winners starting May 17.Immediately following selection and acceptance, ASMDA will send an information packet and begin making flight reservations, if applicable.
Once selected by ASMDA, winners will be required to provide an attendance application, including a camp physical, to the U.S. Space & Rocket Center. Scholarship application forms are available at www.asmda.us.
- August 7, 2020Cadets lead from the front during summer camp in Puerto Rico
- August 7, 2020Camp Zama facilities named best in 7 categories in Stars and Stripes reader’s poll
- August 6, 2020Camp Zama school liaison officer wants community to be ‘in the know’
- August 6, 2020Profiles in Space - A series highlighting the unique and diverse Soldiers of USASMDC: From Kenya to U.S. Army Space
- August 6, 2020SMDC Tech Center leader discusses Army’s future
- August 5, 2020Day two of ROTC Summer Camp in Puerto Rico
- August 5, 2020SMDC leader gives command update during virtual symposium
- August 4, 2020Camp Zama entomologist aims to educate about insects, other creatures
- August 3, 2020ROTC Summer Camp, Operation Agile Leader begins in Puerto Rico!
- July 31, 2020ROC-H welcomes new leader
- July 30, 2020SMDC develops cutting-edge technology to support warfighters
- July 24, 2020USASMDC exceeds retention goal through communication, teamwork
- July 21, 2020THE TRIFECTA OF CAREER SUCCESS