By Ms. Lindsey R Monger (ATEC)March 27, 2019
ABERDEEN PROVING GROUND, Md. -- Each year, the nation recognizes the month of April as Sexual Assault Awareness and Prevention Month (SAAPM). This year, the U.S. Army Test and Evaluation Command (ATEC) arranged for many opportunities for the Aberdeen Proving Ground (APG) workforce to come together in efforts to raise the awareness for sexual violence.
This year's theme, "Sexual Harassment and Assault Response and Prevention (SHARP): Shaping a Culture of Trust. Protecting Our People Protects Our Mission," emphasizes the critical role everyone plays in preventing sexual harassment and assault.
"The effects that sexual violence has can severely impact the unit's mission readiness; not only does it affect one person, it affects all," said ATEC's SHARP Program Manager Dina Mabry. "That's why we are getting the workforce together to increase their awareness and learn about the resources available in efforts to help end sexual violence within the Army."
Starting in the month of April, the ATEC SHARP Program Office welcomes team APG military and civilians to attend the events in support of SAAPM.
List of events and brief description:
• Thursday, April 4 -- Day of Action - "Empowerment Self-Defense": Understanding the unique effect that Empowerment has at reducing the risk of sexual violence and contributing to recovery from sexual violence, and encouraging healing. Event will begin at 1 p.m. in the ATEC HQ Atrium, Building 2202. ***
• Wednesday, April 10 -- Candlelight Vigil: There are those who suffer in silence. Stand together and honor those individuals affected by sexual violence and those who support them. Event will be held at the ATEC HQ Atrium, Building 2202, from 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. ***
• Thursday, April 18 -- Survivors "Speak Out" Session: It takes great courage for any survivor to come forward. This journey will provide a space for survivors to create a safe environment to share the depth and complexity of the feelings experienced by sexual assault survivors. Event will be held at the ATC Auditorium, Building 5014, from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. ***
• Wednesday, April 24 -- Denim Day and Poetry Slam: Why Denim? There is no excuse and never an invitation for rape. Through inspired poetry the purpose of the event is to raise voices, be heard, and educate one another about sexual assault, and support survivors. The event will be held at Myer Auditorium, Building 6000, from 1 to 3 p.m. ***
• Tuesday, April 30 -- SAAPM 5K Color Fun Run/Walk: Strive to prevent sexual harassment and sexual assault daily. Take the opportunity to enjoy a brisk walk or run and continue to educate along the way about the importance of why we do what we do. Event will be held at the PX Parking Lot from 9 to 11 a.m. ***
*** Events that will count for the annual requirement for FY19 Face-to-Face Training.
For those interested in attending any of the events above, please register at: https://portal.atec.army.mil/sites/ATECCmd/EEO/sharp/default.aspx. For more information on SAAPM or any of the events listed above, please contact Dina Mabry at 443-861-9257.