By Washington State Department of TransportationMarch 22, 2019
LAKEWOOD, Wash. -- Drivers who use Interstate 5 through Lakewood will begin to see new construction activity near the Interstate 5 and Thorne Lane interchange starting today. The work, part of the widening I-5 along Joint Base Lewis-McChord, requires a series of overnight ramp and lane closures.
Crews are also installing temporary fencing for upcoming noise wall construction adjacent to northbound I-5. Drivers will continue to see daytime shoulder closures, today through Friday, on both directions of I-5 in the project limits.
Overnight lane and shoulder closures between Thorne Lane and Steilacoom-DuPont Road:
• Both directions of I-5 will be reduced to a single lane from mileposts 124 to 119 each night today through Thursday. Lane closures begin at 8:30 p.m. today through Wednesday, and 9:30 p.m. Thursday. All lanes should reopen by 4:30 a.m. each following day.
As a reminder, bicyclists are not allowed to use the shoulder of I-5 in the work zone and are required to follow a signed-bicycle detour between Steilacoom-DuPont Road and Gravelly Lake Drive. To see the route, visit https://www.wsdot.wa.gov/projects/i5/steilacoomdupontrdtothornelnimprove/detours
No two adjacent ramps will be closed overnight simultaneously. Access to 41st Division Drive, Berkeley Street, Thorne Lane and Gravelly Lake Drive will be maintained with signed detours.
• Northbound I-5 exit 120 to 41st Division Drive will close from 8:30 p.m. to 4:30 a.m. Tuesday.
• One lane of 41st Division Drive near I-5 will close from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m. Tuesday.
• Southbound I-5 exit to Thorne Lane will close from 8:30 p.m. to 4:30 a.m. Wednesday.
• Thorne Lane on-ramp to northbound I-5 will close from 8:30 p.m. to 4:30 a.m. Wednesday.
• Northbound I-5 exit to Thorne Lane will close from 8:30 p.m. to 4:30 a.m. Wednesday.
• Thorne Lane on-ramp to northbound I-5 will close from 8:30 p.m. to 4:30 a.m. Thursday.
• The southbound I-5 exit to Thorne Lane will close from 10 p.m. to 4:30 a.m. Thursday.
• Gravelly Lake Drive on-ramp to southbound I-5 will close from 9:30 p.m. to 4:30 a.m. Thursday.
• Thorne Lane on-ramp to southbound I-5 will close from 10 p.m. to 4:30 a.m. Friday.
• Southbound I-5 exit to Berkeley Street will close from 9:30 p.m. to 4:30 a.m. Friday.
This work is weather sensitive.
For more information on the project, visit http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/Projects/I5/steilacoomdupontrdtothornelnimprove/default.htm