Change to leadership course brings officers closer to impact zone
By Daniel Malta, Fort Sill Public AffairsJanuary 25, 2019
FORT SILL, Okla. -- The Field Artillery Basic Officer Leader Course (BOLC) implemented a new change to its capstone exercise, Red Leg War, giving students a more realistic experience before entering their respective units.
This change now allows students to approach the impact zone while calling in fires during the Fires Support Coordination Exercise.
"We want them to have the experience of fires impacting much closer than they have in the past," said Lt. Col. Terry Hilt, 1st Battalion, 30th Field Artillery commander. "They will now be able to potentially walk through the craters as they move from objective to objective."We have a safety on Dailey Hill counting rounds as the lane [of Soldiers] advances," he said. "We also have an EOD [Explosive Ordnance Disposal] team out there."If a round doesn't explode and it's in the path of the Soldiers, then the lane is stopped and the EOD team takes care of the unexploded ordnance, Hilt said.In the past, after planning, briefing and rehearsing, students had been brought to an observation point where they would call in fires on designated targets.
Now, students get to fully realize the effects of that planning by getting as close as 750 meters from impacting rounds, while simultaneously calling in fire from mobile positions.This also allows students to more realistically adapt their fire commands while moving to contact, and exposes them to the devastating effects of those artillery rounds, Hilt said.
- April 2, 2020JMC’s Behind-the-Scene Heroes Ensure Quality Munitions through the Ammunition Stockpile Reliability Program
- March 31, 2020U.S. Army updates promotion and retention policies in response to COVID-19
- March 30, 2020Picatinny childcare educators use video to reach out to students, families during pandemic
- March 28, 2020DFAC Implements Changes to Combat COVID-19
- March 28, 2020Temporary changes to retention, promotion, as COVID-19 persists
- March 27, 2020Fort Knox welcomes new Garrison command sergeant major during livestreamed ceremony
- March 27, 2020Fort Leonard Wood units implement precautionary measures, mitigation protocols
- March 25, 2020Field and Air Defense Artilleries Are Not the Same
- March 24, 2020Soldiers can now apply for AER assistance electronically
- March 23, 2020Army to test new tech program at select schools
- March 12, 20202-43 ADA BN Colors Casing Ceremony
- March 12, 2020Vietnam firebase takes shape at artillery museum
- March 12, 2020Soldiers, Airmen meet for joint training
- March 12, 2020428th refocuses on large-scale FA operations
- March 12, 2020Fort Sill welcomes new commanding general
- March 11, 2020Tiger Team welcomes the storm