Trees for Troops delivers more than 600 trees for Fort Benning service members
By Ms. Jessica Dupree (Benning)December 10, 2018
FORT BENNING, Ga. (Dec. 10, 2018) -- Service members and their Families began lining up at 6 a.m. Dec. 7 on Wetherby Field here to pick out their trees for the holiday season, courtesy of the Trees for Troops program.Trees for Troops, a part of the Christmas SPIRIT Foundation, provides free farm-grown trees from across the United States to active-duty military members through a network of donations, volunteers and sponsors.Soldiers assigned to the Infantry and Armor Basic Officer Leader Courses and employees from the FedEx Care Atlanta Team unloaded the trees delivered by FedEx volunteers at 10 a.m. They began distributing and loading trees onto recipients' cars soon after.FedEx, which has participated in Trees for Troops for 12 years, delivered the trees to Fort Benning. This year, the driver got stuck on Wetherby Field short of his destination to unload the trees. Fortunately, the volunteers did not let this stop them from accomplishing their mission. Soldiers with pickup trucks came together to get trees from the vehicle to the right place on Wetherby Field."It really worked out well," said 2nd Lt. Raymond Sowinski, a volunteer at the event assigned to the Armor Basic Officer Leader Course. "Everyone came together to get the trees off the truck and to the Families."Trees for Troops worked with Fort Benning Morale, Welfare and Recreation to deliver more than 600 trees to Fort Benning Soldiers and their Families. Staff Sgt. Joshua Graffio, a drill sergeant assigned to B Company, 2nd Battalion, 19th Infantry Regiment, said this will be the second time his family will enjoy a tree at home."It will be a surprise for my kids when they get home from school," he said. "It really makes the holiday spirit."
- May 21, 2020USAMMC-K Soldier, military spouse recognized among USAG-Daegu's top volunteers
- May 21, 2020Siempre Listos -- WHINSEC Forging New Pathways During COVID-19
- May 21, 2020All Trainers on Deck!
- May 21, 2020Fort Leonard Wood senior leaders surprise Soldier with President’s Volunteer Service Award
- May 19, 2020Retired Soldier, current Army Reserve Ambassador volunteers for COVID-19 response
- May 19, 2020Oro Valley resident selected as Civilian Aide to the Secretary of the Army
- May 18, 2020Benning, Lee partnership provides Soldier readiness support
- May 15, 2020Fort Benning easing some COVID-19 restrictions, but its top leader says no broadscale changes without 14-day downturn in disease
- May 14, 2020MCoE facilitates movement of troops to PACOM AOR
- May 13, 2020US Coast Guard spouse volunteers at Maastricht hospital, saves lives
- May 12, 2020Volunteer of the Year winners receive ‘shout-out’ from garrison commander
- May 11, 2020Volunteers step up to help protect Fort McCoy families by making masks
- May 8, 2020Army volunteers, unity of effort