Koreans, Americans join together in friendship, honor Veterans at annual event
By Cameron PorterDecember 7, 2018
CAMP HENRY, Rep. of Korea -- Remembering our shared past, honoring our Veterans of the Korean War, and joining together as a sign of friendship and cooperation -- that's what the 16th Chilgok Korean-American Friendship Day event was all about, held Dec. 6 at the Chilgok County Chamber of Commerce and Industry Hall in Waegwan, Korea.
More than 200 people attended the event, to include U.S. Army Garrison Daegu Commander Robert Mann, members of the USAG-Daegu staff and more than 30 Soldiers from the 6th Ordnance Battalion at Camp Carroll, Korea.
Following the National Anthems of the United States and the Rep. of Korea, a moment of silence for those who died during the Korean War, and guest remarks -- a couple dozen Korean War Veterans were presented with special ceremonial scarves by U.S. and Korean Army Soldiers as a sign of respect and appreciation.
Following this, a formation of U.S. Soldiers sang the 8th Army Song, and a formation of Korean Soldiers sang a Korean Military Song entitled "Rest in Peace."
"As you well know, the Korean-American Friendship Association meets annually to commemorate all the Korean and American Soldiers who sacrificed so much for the peace of our country," said Sun-ki Beak, the Chilgok governor. "I'm hoping events like this not only honor them but continue to make a stronger relationship between the Koreans and the Americans."
"In my 25 years of service with the U.S. Army I have never seen an alliance more rock solid that what I see here today between our two countries," said Mann. "Together we stand united in one mission -- to preserve peace and achieve an even brighter future for our children and generations to come."
The event was followed by a buffet-style lunch and lots of group photos, selfies and smiles, showing Koreans and Americans together and capturing the cooperation and friendship well.
- October 23, 2020Army units innovate, find success with safe training at home stations
- October 23, 2020Project Convergence strengthens future vertical lift capabilities, leaders say
- October 23, 2020Army's top enlisted Soldier says leader involvement vital to improving Family housing
- October 26, 2020Army Financial Management Office partners with DOD for AI solutions
- October 22, 2020Top company-grade officers receive MacArthur leadership award
- October 22, 2020Fort Sill basic combat trainees issued new Army Green Service Uniforms
- October 21, 202025th ID instructor named a Facilitator of the Year
- October 22, 2020'SWAT team of nerds' tackles tough tech challenges
- October 22, 2020Soldier credits daughter for life-saving actions
- October 21, 20203D environments to play larger role in Project Convergence 2021
- October 21, 2020Army to widen reach of health study on COVID-19
- October 21, 2020Army engineers demonstrate selfless service post Hurricane Laura
- October 22, 2020DOD continues prioritizing families, people throughout pandemic