Koreans, Americans join together in friendship, honor Veterans at annual event
By Cameron PorterDecember 7, 2018
CAMP HENRY, Rep. of Korea -- Remembering our shared past, honoring our Veterans of the Korean War, and joining together as a sign of friendship and cooperation -- that's what the 16th Chilgok Korean-American Friendship Day event was all about, held Dec. 6 at the Chilgok County Chamber of Commerce and Industry Hall in Waegwan, Korea.
More than 200 people attended the event, to include U.S. Army Garrison Daegu Commander Robert Mann, members of the USAG-Daegu staff and more than 30 Soldiers from the 6th Ordnance Battalion at Camp Carroll, Korea.
Following the National Anthems of the United States and the Rep. of Korea, a moment of silence for those who died during the Korean War, and guest remarks -- a couple dozen Korean War Veterans were presented with special ceremonial scarves by U.S. and Korean Army Soldiers as a sign of respect and appreciation.
Following this, a formation of U.S. Soldiers sang the 8th Army Song, and a formation of Korean Soldiers sang a Korean Military Song entitled "Rest in Peace."
"As you well know, the Korean-American Friendship Association meets annually to commemorate all the Korean and American Soldiers who sacrificed so much for the peace of our country," said Sun-ki Beak, the Chilgok governor. "I'm hoping events like this not only honor them but continue to make a stronger relationship between the Koreans and the Americans."
"In my 25 years of service with the U.S. Army I have never seen an alliance more rock solid that what I see here today between our two countries," said Mann. "Together we stand united in one mission -- to preserve peace and achieve an even brighter future for our children and generations to come."
The event was followed by a buffet-style lunch and lots of group photos, selfies and smiles, showing Koreans and Americans together and capturing the cooperation and friendship well.
- June 25, 2020The Korean War and the Rebirth of ARSOF: Seventy Years Later
- June 24, 2020All Army personnel, veterans asked to be recruiters next week
- June 23, 2020June 1950: The Georgia National Guard and the Korean War
- June 23, 2020Bosnia Bob Completes Sixth Deployment
- June 22, 2020NCNG Serves Food, Hope to Community During COVID-19
- June 22, 2020Soldier restores a piece of Wyoming Guard history
- June 22, 2020Army Spouse Employment, Career and Education Information
- June 12, 2020Ohio National Guard tests veterans' home residents, staff
- June 11, 2020NJNG women talk about the meaning of Women Veterans Day
- June 10, 2020Barr library, Hanson frame shop offering free craft kits to veterans
- June 10, 2020Art display commemorates 70 years since Operation Kiddy Car
- June 1, 2020German military veteran donates face shields to Red Cross