FORT BENNING, Ga. (Oct. 19, 2018) - Maneuver Center of Excellence units and tenant units of Fort Benning, Georgia, gathered at the MCoE headquarters building early Oct. 19 to participate in the Centennial Run.

The run is part of the celebration of 100th anniversary of the founding of Camp Benning near Columbus, Georgia.

Soldiers of Medical Department Activity, Western Hemisphere Institute for Security Cooperation, Dental Activity, 194th Armored Brigade, 316th Cavalry Brigade, 14th Combat Support Hospital, 75th Ranger Regiment, 199th Infantry Brigade, 198th Infantry Brigade, and Airborne and Ranger Training Battalion ran a circuit through the Fort Benning main post.

Following President Woodrow Wilson's declaration of war against Germany April 4, 1917, a committee of the Columbus Chamber of Commerce went to Washington to have a military camp established at Columbus. Columbus was chosen as a prospective site for the Infantry School of Arms. Infantry School staff and Soldiers from Fort Sill, Oklahoma arrived Oct. 1, 1918, an 84-acre farm on Macon Road was chosen as the site, a detachment arrived Oct. 7, and the new site was named Camp Benning Oct. 19, 1918.

To see more photos, visit the "Related Links" section on this page.