By Lucas Rudy, USAG Italy PAO student internOctober 16, 2018
CASERMA EDERLE, Italy --Vicenza High School will hold its annual college fair Oct. 17 in the school gymnasium from 5-7 p.m.
More than 50 colleges and universities -- American and European -- will be present, with representatives available to inform students and their families of higher education opportunities.
Mary Generelli, whose AVID class organizes the event in partnership with the Vicenza Teen Center, hails the fair as an unmatched opportunity to learn not only about individual universities but also about the college admissions process as a whole.
"It's not often that this many colleges are in one space," she said. "By talking to each college, students and their families get a clear idea of what schools are looking for in an applicant, which is great considering how scary this process can be."
AVID Tutor Daniel Scullion -- who plays a significant role in putting together the event -- agreed with Generelli, and added that his horizons were broadened after being exposed to so many college choices at last year's fair.
"I'm applying to schools I never would have considered had I not seen those represented at the college fair," said the senior.
For students who are considering joining the military upon graduating, U.S. Army and Air Force recruiters will also be present to answer questions.
To boot, the Booster Club will play host to a dinner of homemade soups and baguettes from 5 p.m. to 6 p.m., and the high school and middle school AVID classes will be selling baked goods. All profits from dinner and the bake sale will go directly toward scholarship funding and student opportunities.
Schools that will be represented at the fair:
• American University of Cairo
• Appalachian State University
• Ball State University
• Central Texas College
• Central Washington College
• Eastern Illinois University
• Eastern Washington University
• Fayetteville State University
• John Cabot University
• Johns Hopkins University
• Jostens Europe
• Lawrence University
• Liberty University
• Lipscomb University
• Maastricht University (Netherlands)
• Middle TN State University
• Mississippi University for Women
• New Mexico State
• Oklahoma University
• Purdue University
• Sacramento State University
• San Diego State University
• Slippery Rock Colorado
• South Carolina State University
• State University of New York at Potsdam
• Temple University of Rome
• Texas A&M
• The Citadel
• Towson University
• University of Bologna
• University of Colorado
• University of Maryland
• University of Massachusetts-Amherst
• University of Padova
• University of Southern California
• University of Tampa
• University of Texas
• University of Virginia
• University of West Florida
• University Resources at Caserma Ederle Library
• U.S. Air Force Recruiter
• U.S. Army Recruiter
• Vanderbilt University
• Vicenza High School counselors
• Virginia Tech
• Western Washington University
• Wheaton College
• Worcester State University
The event is open to middle and high school students, their families and community members.