WASHINGTON -- The Department of the Army applauds the swift passage of the Fiscal Year 2019 National Defense Authorization, which authorizes a budget that supports the Army's Vision, resources our modernization initiatives and priorities, allows us to continue to increase the readiness and lethality of the force, and postures the Army to meet the requirements of the National Defense Strategy.
The approved bill:
* Increases the Army's authorized active-duty end strength by 4,000, enabling us to field critical capabilities in support of the National Defense Strategy
* Raises Soldier pay by 2.6 percent, recognizing the service and sacrifice they make on behalf of our nation
* Supports the establishment of Army Futures Command, which will provide unity of command and effort for the Army's modernization enterprise
* Supports the Army's six modernization priorities that will enable the Army to achieve its Vision by 2028
* Continues to restore decisive action readiness and improves our aging equipment fleets
* Begins to rebuild our aging installation infrastructure and recognizes the importance of installations as readiness platforms
* Recognizes the importance of our military spouses and families by improving hiring practices for childcare services at military childcare centers and assessing the impacts of permanent changes of station on the employment of military spouses
The department looks forward to working with Congress as we ensure we are ready today, more lethal tomorrow, and supporting the National Defense Strategy.