By U.S. ArmyAugust 1, 2018
The 94th Air Defense Artillery was constituted on December 16, 1940 in the Regular Army as the 94th Coast Artillery. On April 17, 1941 it was activated at Camp Davis, North Carolina. The Regiment was later broken up on May 15, 1943 and its elements reorganized and re-designated as Headquarters and Headquarters Battery, 94th Antiaircraft Artillery Group. During the Second World War, the 94th Coast Artillery participated in major war campaigns within the East Indies, New Guinea, Leyte, and Luzon during which it received commemorate streamers and was additionally decorated with the Philippine Presidential Unit Citation streamer.
After World War II, the Headquarters and Headquarters Battery, 94th Antiaircraft Artillery Group, was inactivated on March 15, 1947 in the Philippine Islands. On April 1, 1960, it was re designated in Kaiserslautern, Germany as Headquarters and Headquarters Battery, 94th Artillery Group, as part of the 32nd Army Air Defense Command. The 94th Air Defense Artillery Group was re-designated on March 15, 1972 as Headquarters and Headquarters Battery, 94th Air Defense Artillery Group. The 94th Air Defense Artillery Group was later re-designated on July 16, 1983 as Headquarters and Headquarters Battery, 94th Air Defense Artillery Brigade.
During the Cold War period, the 94th Artillery Group defended NATO with Nike Hercules, HAWK, PATRIOT, Chaparral and Vulcan Air Defense Systems inspiring the motto of "First Line of Defense." After the collapse of communism in Europe, the 94th Air Defense Artillery Brigade continued to support European Command contingencies throughout the European Command Area of Operations.
From September 1991 thru February 1992, Headquarters and Headquarters Battery, 94th Air Defense Artillery Brigade earned the Army Superior Unit Award for its direct support of United States led multinational operation "Determined Resolve" in the Persian Gulf. Before it's inactivation in 1998, the 94th Air Defense Artillery Brigade formed the nucleus for the first ever Joint Theater Missile Defense Task Force that deployed to Israel in support of Operation Noble Safeguard and Desert Thunder.
The 94th Army Air and Missile Defense Command was officially reactivated on October 18, 2005 at Fort Shafter, Hawaii, under Headquarters, United States Army Pacific, to provide support under U.S. Indo-Pacific Command (USINDOPACOM). In January 2015 the 94th AAMDC Headquarters relocated to its current location at Hickam Field.
DISTINCTIVE UNIT INSIGNIA
Symbolism: The sea-lion grasping the sword is from the Seal of the President of the Philippines; it commemorates the action during World War II for which the unit received the Philippine Presidential Unit Citation. The two arrows stand for the assault landings at New Guinea and Luzon. The arrows in flight also refer to the organization's air defense mission. The domed tower, characteristic of Germany, and the colors scarlet, black and gold allude to the unit's motto. Scarlet and gold are the colors used for Air Defense Artillery organizations.
UNIT PATCH HISTORY
Symbolism: Scarlet and yellow are the colors of Artillery. The tower symbolizes a strong defensive position. The two arrows represent ground-to-air missiles referring to the unit's mission. The sea lion, commemorative of the unit's proud heritage, alludes to World War II service in the Philippines and the South Pacific.