Waters of the United States Rule-Making
By U.S. ArmyJune 29, 2018
The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and the Department of the Army (Army) are implementing Executive Order 13778, Restoring the Rule of Law, Federalism, and Economic Growth by Reviewing the "Waters of the United States" Rule, in two steps to provide certainty to the regulated community and the public while the agencies develop a revised definition of "waters of the United States."
1. Step One - Repeal - The agencies are proposing to establish the legal status quo in the Code of Federal Regulations, by repealing the 2015 Rule and recodifying the regulation that was in place prior to issuance of the 2015 Rule and that is being implemented now.
2. Step Two - Revise - The agencies plan to propose a new definition that would replace the approach in the 2015 Rule and the pre-2015 regulations, taking into consideration the principles that Justice Scalia outlined in the Rapanos plurality opinion.
Both proposed steps of this rulemaking process will follow the Administrative Procedure Act.
- September 19, 2018Army Corps' North Atlantic Division engaged in Hurricane Florence response and recovery mission
- September 18, 2018Army researchers participate in multi-agency ozone study
- September 14, 2018Army Responds as Hurricane Florence Strikes the Southeast United States
- September 14, 2018Riding in the Benelux: What to know about motorcycle license endorsements, training and safety
- September 13, 2018West Virginia and other states send hurricane teams
- September 12, 2018Ticks cause uptick in disease
- September 12, 2018Commander reflects on time as member of 9/11 search-and-rescue team
- September 6, 2018Army research takes proactive approach to defending computer systems
- September 6, 2018Closing Out Summer, Safely
- September 5, 2018Setting the stage for future beneficial use of dredged materials in the Great Lakes
- August 31, 2018Marshall Center Course Teaches Security Pros to 'Stay One Step Ahead' in Fighting Criminal Networks
- August 31, 2018The Kuwait Energy Efficiency Project
- August 29, 2018Definition of "Waters of the United States": Rule Status and Litigation Update
- August 27, 2018Former Defense Intelligence Agency director opens up Benning's leadership symposium
- August 23, 2018ROTC Cadet Receives Hands-on Experience in USACE's Albuquerque District through CDEP Program
- August 22, 2018DOD announces overhaul to Defense Travel System in contract award