Waters of the United States Rule-Making
By U.S. ArmyJune 29, 2018
The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and the Department of the Army (Army) are implementing Executive Order 13778, Restoring the Rule of Law, Federalism, and Economic Growth by Reviewing the "Waters of the United States" Rule, in two steps to provide certainty to the regulated community and the public while the agencies develop a revised definition of "waters of the United States."
1. Step One - Repeal - The agencies are proposing to establish the legal status quo in the Code of Federal Regulations, by repealing the 2015 Rule and recodifying the regulation that was in place prior to issuance of the 2015 Rule and that is being implemented now.
2. Step Two - Revise - The agencies plan to propose a new definition that would replace the approach in the 2015 Rule and the pre-2015 regulations, taking into consideration the principles that Justice Scalia outlined in the Rapanos plurality opinion.
Both proposed steps of this rulemaking process will follow the Administrative Procedure Act.
- February 20, 2019405th AFSB leads predeployment site survey in support of unit mission readiness
- February 19, 2019Engineer unit loads railcars for 2019 Operation Resolute Castle deployment at Fort McCoy
- February 19, 20194th Cav. MFTB Soldiers build cohesion among reserve component units
- February 19, 2019National Guard units partner for joint aviation training in Arabian Gulf
- February 15, 2019With interagency meetings, Antilles regulatory office aims to accelerate permitting process
- February 15, 2019Medical reserve unit plays critical role in Soldier deployment
- February 12, 2019New Year, New HHBN Unit
- February 7, 2019EPA and Army Announce Public Hearing on Proposed New "Waters of the United States" Definition
- February 6, 2019Preliminary tests at USAG Bavaria reveal no environmental hazards
- February 6, 2019Reenlistment unites two generations of Army
- February 1, 2019Army spouse first to benefit from new Missouri employment rule
- January 31, 2019FINDING OF NO SIGNIFICANT IMPACT, PROJECT NAME: FORT KNOX POTABLE WATER UTILITY SYSTEM
- January 28, 2019Think before you flush: keep JBLM's water clean
- January 7, 2019EPA and Army Postpone Public Hearing on Proposed New "Waters of the United States" Definition