Remembering and Honoring Our Heroes Ceremony
By K. Houston WatersMay 25, 2018
Natick, Mass. -- Brig. Gen. Vincent Malone II, senior commander, Natick Soldier Systems Center, participated in the Ninth Annual Remembering and Honoring Massachusetts Military Heroes May 24.
The event, held in Boston for the ninth consecutive year, recognized fallen Servicemembers from Operation Iraqi Freedom, Enduring Freedom, and Noble Eagle.
Held prior to each Memorial Day, Remembering and Honoring Massachusetts Military Heroes features Gold Star families and military personnel reading the names of the fallen. Nearly 300 names were read.
Malone had the honor of reading 10 names, one of which was Maj. Gen. Harold J. Greene. Greene was killed in Afghanistan in 2014. Greene held the same position Malone holds now.
Command Sgt. Maj. Michael Pintagro, the USAG Natick Command Sgt. Maj., also read the names of 10 fallen Servicemembers.
More than 37,000 flags were placed in Boston Common, adjacent to The Soldiers and Sailors Monument.
Massachusetts governor Charlie Baker and Boston mayor Martin Walsh also spoke at the event.
- April 12, 2019Festival remembers sacrifices of American Soldiers decades later
- April 11, 2019Local business partner honors depot employee
- April 8, 2019Benelux community honors Vietnam War veterans
- April 3, 2019Infantry Soldiers earn top honors in New York National Guard 2019 Best Warrior Competition
- April 3, 2019Bulldog Brigade service members walk to remember
- April 3, 2019Unsung hero wins dispatcher of the year award
- March 29, 2019Soldiers remember the Battle of Suoi Tre
- March 28, 2019'Ideal Soldier' honored in Hall of Heroes ceremony
- March 27, 2019Exchange salutes 'youngest heroes' for Month of the Military Child
- March 27, 2019Soldier recalls serving with Medal of Honor recipient Staff Sgt. Travis Atkins
- March 26, 2019Unit honors legacy of hero with competition