13th ESC Welcomes New Commanding General
By Sgt. 1st Class Michael CoxMay 24, 2018
FORT HOOD-The 13th Expeditionary Sustainment Command welcomed a new commander Thursday on Sadowski Field.
Brig. Gen Douglas McBride Jr., who has served as the 13th ESC commanding general for nearly two years, passed command responsibility to Brig. Gen. Darren L. Werner, with the traditional passing of the colors, symbolizing the change of command.
"Brigadier General Darren Werner and his wife Melissa are the right team to lead the 13th ESC into the future." said III Corps and Fort Hood deputy commander, Maj. Gen. J.T Thompson, who was the reviewing officer at the ceremony.
Werner served as the Director, Strategy, Plans and Integration Deputy Chief of Staff G-4 at the Pentagon. Werner is no stranger to Fort Hood. He first served here with the 4th Infantry Division as a Brigade Support Operations Officer and a Battalion Executive Officer during Operation Iraqi Freedom and later with the 4th Support Battalion as the Battalion Commander in 2007
"I would like to say that this is an absolute pleasure to be asked and entrusted to lead such a prestigious unit. I had the opportunity to witness their professionalism and enthusiasm when I was part of the Phantom Warrior Team last time I was assigned here." Werner said.
Werner thanked the assembled Soldiers, distinguished guests and Family members for attending the ceremony saying that exciting times and missions are ahead for the unit.
McBride welcomed Werner and his Family to Fort Hood saying that "Today you start a new chapter and become part of a team that will astonish you with their abilities and talents. This group is capable of any mission and is ready to fight tonight. I wish you all the best during your time back at III Corps. We know you will lead this group with passion and poise."
Over the last 24 months under McBride's command, elements from the ESC conducted support operations in every theater that the U.S. currently operates in: Soldiers are serving or have served in five countries in the Middle East, nine countries in Europe, six countries in Africa, two countries in PACOM, as well as providing medical and fuel teams in Honduras and Panama. The unit was also mission command during Hurricane Harvey relief efforts in the Houston area in August last year.
McBride then addressed the Soldiers of the 13th ESC, saying, "I am extremely proud of all this formation accomplished over the past two years and the hard work put into making this unit what it is today. You are all professionals and I am proud to wear this uniform alongside you."
McBride and his Family will leave Fort Hood and head to Fort Lee, Virginia, where he will assume the responsibility as the commandant of the United States Army Quartermaster School as the Army's 55th Quartermaster General.
- September 1, 2020Army announcement on Fort Hood leadership
- August 31, 2020Fort Hood Independent Review Committee members arrive at Fort Hood
- August 17, 2020Fort Hood independent review committee members sworn in
- July 30, 2020Army announces panel for Fort Hood independent review
- July 10, 2020Secretary of the Army announces independent review of Fort Hood
- June 3, 2020Two Army Installations selected for 5G testing and experimentation
- April 23, 2020Army announces upcoming 1st Cavalry Division Headquarters, unit rotation
- September 12, 2019Army announces upcoming 2nd BCT, 1st Cavalry Division unit rotation
- September 12, 2019Army announces upcoming 3rd Security Force Assistance Brigade unit rotation
- September 12, 2019Department of the Army announces upcoming 1st Cavalry Division Headquarters unit rotation
- September 12, 2019Department of the Army announces upcoming 3rd Cavalry Regiment deployment
- September 12, 2019Department of the Army announces upcoming 1st Cavalry Division deployment
- September 12, 2019Department of the Army announces 1st Cavalry Division deployment
- September 12, 2019Department of the Army announces III Corps deployment
- September 12, 2019Department of the Army announces 3rd Armored Brigade Combat Team, 1st Cavalry Division deploy
- September 12, 2019Army Announces 1st Cavalry Division Deployment