Kayakers experience wildlife up close in Monterey Bay
By Mr. Joseph Kumzak (Presidio)May 8, 2018
PRESIDIO OF MONTEREY, Calif. -- Monterey County is a paradise for outdoor lovers and the Presidio of Monterey's FMWR has the key to their hearts.
FMWR's Outdoor Recreation offers a variety of tours for those who want to relax and unwind, or seek new adventures. Its ocean kayaking tour brings marine wildlife up close in the Monterey Bay National Marine Sanctuary with views of Cannery Row and the aquarium.
Sea lions, harbor seals and sea otters swim and play nearby. Orcas, humpback, blue and gray whales can breach within a few hundred feet of the tours."I believe that if you do nothing else while visiting or stationed in Monterey, rent a kayak or go out on a tour," said Matthew Paruolo, adventure programs manager, Presidio Outdoor Recreation. "To see Cannery Row from the water and be up close and personal with all of Monterey Bay's resident wildlife is an entirely different experience."Outdoor Rec. typically offers the kayaking tours every month. However, they offer kayak fishing and sunset kayaking tours during summer.
"It was my first time using MWR," said Pfc. Jacob Remaly, a Korean language student with the 229th Military Intelligence Battalion. "With class being so stressful … a lot of us don't think that we have the time with the intense study schedule."
He said the tour was a great way to relax and take his mind off studying for a few hours, and appreciated the convenience of a coordinated tour.
"You always need to take those breaks to give your mind a little breathing room," said Remaly. "I am definitely going to take advantage of more MWR tours in the future -- I am taking the surfing lessons at the end of the month, and looking forward to mountain biking and white water rafting tours."He felt lucky his parents were visiting from Virginia to share the experience.
"I enjoyed being able to come out to relax and see the sea life that's out here," said Stew Remaly, Remaly's father. "It was a wonderful time."For more information on tours call 831-242-5506 or visit www.mwrmonterey.com
- April 1, 2020Virtual tours allow families staying at home a chance to experience the world
- March 26, 2020Installation tour bridges gap between community, Fort Stewart
- March 24, 2020Secretary of the Army Visits USAMRDC, Touts COVID-19 Funding Boost
- March 20, 2020COVID-19 response: Secretary McCarthy hosts press conference with Gen. McConville
- March 12, 2020Chatham Co. JROTC cadets take a tour for their futures
- March 12, 2020AFC General Visits Aeromedical Research Laboratory
- March 12, 2020Mitchell returns to Red River for command visit
- March 11, 2020High school students tour Hunter Army Airfield
- March 11, 2020Presidio doubles 2019 AER donations in single day
- March 7, 2020New military housing on the way at Monterey
- March 6, 2020Controlled burns improve training areas, prevent wildfires, protect endangered species
- March 4, 2020An exception to the norm: FLW NCO volunteers for second drill sergeant tour
- March 4, 2020DEFENDER outreach tour rocks Gdynia
- February 26, 2020Civilian Aides to the Secretary of the Army (CASA) visit U.S. Army Intelligence and Security Command
- February 26, 2020The U.S. Army Field Band Spring Concert Tour
- February 25, 2020Corps employees get taste of Nashville's black history