Kayakers experience wildlife up close in Monterey Bay
By Mr. Joseph Kumzak (Presidio)May 8, 2018
PRESIDIO OF MONTEREY, Calif. -- Monterey County is a paradise for outdoor lovers and the Presidio of Monterey's FMWR has the key to their hearts.
FMWR's Outdoor Recreation offers a variety of tours for those who want to relax and unwind, or seek new adventures. Its ocean kayaking tour brings marine wildlife up close in the Monterey Bay National Marine Sanctuary with views of Cannery Row and the aquarium.
Sea lions, harbor seals and sea otters swim and play nearby. Orcas, humpback, blue and gray whales can breach within a few hundred feet of the tours."I believe that if you do nothing else while visiting or stationed in Monterey, rent a kayak or go out on a tour," said Matthew Paruolo, adventure programs manager, Presidio Outdoor Recreation. "To see Cannery Row from the water and be up close and personal with all of Monterey Bay's resident wildlife is an entirely different experience."Outdoor Rec. typically offers the kayaking tours every month. However, they offer kayak fishing and sunset kayaking tours during summer.
"It was my first time using MWR," said Pfc. Jacob Remaly, a Korean language student with the 229th Military Intelligence Battalion. "With class being so stressful … a lot of us don't think that we have the time with the intense study schedule."
He said the tour was a great way to relax and take his mind off studying for a few hours, and appreciated the convenience of a coordinated tour.
"You always need to take those breaks to give your mind a little breathing room," said Remaly. "I am definitely going to take advantage of more MWR tours in the future -- I am taking the surfing lessons at the end of the month, and looking forward to mountain biking and white water rafting tours."He felt lucky his parents were visiting from Virginia to share the experience.
"I enjoyed being able to come out to relax and see the sea life that's out here," said Stew Remaly, Remaly's father. "It was a wonderful time."For more information on tours call 831-242-5506 or visit www.mwrmonterey.com
- July 13, 2020Presidio welcomes new garrison commander
- July 13, 2020Fort Polk Museum outdoor display evokes pride despite COVID-19 closures
- July 10, 20202020 Army Emergency Relief campaign extended through July
- July 9, 2020Aviation NCO carries father’s legacy forward: ‘If something needs to be done, do it’
- July 9, 2020US Army Project Inclusion update
- July 6, 2020DOD, base officials closely monitoring COVID-19 situation
- July 2, 2020Army announces 18th annual eCYBERMISSION winners
- July 1, 2020Exiting U.S. Transportation Command Foreign Policy Advisor strengthened diplomatic support to the organization and America’s defense
- June 26, 2020'Everyone has a story' Gan reflects on his time at Jackson
- June 25, 2020Hoyle concludes Chief of Ord. tour; cited as 'phenomenal leader' by CG
- June 24, 2020‘Chalk Walk’ allows service members a sense of community while social distancing
- June 12, 202032nd HC deploys TF Vanguard to Iraq
- June 12, 2020Take trip into history at Warrior Memorial park
- June 12, 2020Presidio of Monterey and City of Monterey celebrate 250-year partnership