SAAPM is Here!
By 1LT Elisha Williams, Eighth Army SHARP Program OICApril 5, 2018
April is nationally recognized as Sexual Assault Awareness and Prevention Month or SAAPM -- an annual campaign to raise public awareness about sexual assault and educate communities on how to prevent sexual violence.The Department of Defense marks its annual observance of SAAPM with the continued theme "Protecting Our People, Protects Our Mission." This theme emphasizes that regardless of rank or job specialty, every Soldier can take action to "protect our people".During today's Proclamation Signing Ceremony, Eighth Army CSM Richard E. Merritt said "LTG Bills empowers me through mission command. When it comes to SHARP, I am an extension of him, and we speak in one voice as we combat sexual assault." In addition to a unified command team promoting a month of robust focus on eliminating sexual violence from its ranks, Eighth Army Sexual Harassment/Assault Response and Prevention (SHARP) Office is highlighting these SAAPM events to raise awareness of sexual assault:April 2-8 -- Participate in 2018 SAAPM Proclamation Activities. Area II will host Denim Day and honorary guest speaker MG (Ret) Robert D. Shadley who is the author "The Game: Unraveling A Military Sex Scandal. Area III will host a self-defense seminar, SHARP Madness Basketball, SHARP Trivia, and SHARP-azing Race. Area IV will host a SHARP in Numbers Walk. Contact your area SARC for more details.April 9-15 -- Check out awareness display tables at the local DFAC and PX. Area I will host SHARP Bystander Intervention training. Area III will provide Victim Advocate refresher training and an appreciation lunch. Area IV will host a COLOR Run Spring 5K/SHARP-Step for Awareness with a live band and food until 1400.April 16-22 -- Check out awareness display tables at the local DFAC and PX. Area II will host a PT Challenge/Awareness Event and a SHARPOMANIA.April 23-29 -- Check out awareness display tables at the local DFAC and PX. Area III will host SHARP Zumba and Field Visits. Areas III and IV will provide Denim Day Awareness.April 9, 16, 23, 30 -- Listen to AFN Radio SHARP Talks from 0900 to 1000 each Monday morning during April.To find SAAPM events in your area, click here http://8tharmy.korea.army.mil/site/assets/doc/army-spotlight/8A-SAAPM-2018-Event-Calendar.pdfThe SHARP 24/7 hotline is 158 from any DSN and 0503-357-8912 from any Korean phone.
- March 27, 2020501st Military Intelligence Brigade Trains SHARP Ambassadors
- March 24, 2020Jackson town hall addresses on-post housing concerns
- March 23, 2020Brain Injury Awareness Month strives to shift from silent epidemic to awareness, treatment
- March 23, 2020National Guard Soldier among the Idaho Women of the Year
- March 23, 2020INSCOM virtual town hall updates command, focuses on continuity
- March 23, 2020April is Sexual Assault Awareness and Prevention Month
- March 20, 2020COVID-19 response: Secretary McCarthy hosts press conference with Gen. McConville
- March 18, 2020Garrison leadership hosts COVID-19 town hall
- March 18, 2020Keller Army Community Hospital update on Coronavirus
- March 13, 2020CID Encourages Vigilance to Prevent COVID-19 Cyber Scams
- March 11, 2020Tiger Team welcomes the storm
- March 11, 2020Missiles 101 informs most deployed formation
- March 10, 2020COVID-19: Madigan raising awareness with communication and collaboration
- March 10, 2020Army NCO to speak out against sexual assault at Redstone kickoff
- March 6, 2020Rape victim's counseling marked start of healing
- March 6, 2020'Victims suffer, survivors speak'