Brig. Gen. Joel B. Vowell, 25th ID Deputy Commanding Officer-Operations
By 25th Infantry DivisionMarch 27, 2018
Brig. Gen. Joel "JB" Vowell received his commission as an Infantry officer from the University of Alabama in 1991. During his career, he has been stationed in Europe, the Pacific, and many posts across the United States.
He has been on three combat tours in Afghanistan and one in Iraq, including both surge campaigns. He recently commanded the 3rd Brigade Combat Team ("Rakkasans") of the 101st Airborne Division at Fort Campbell, Kentucky. Brig. Gen. Vowell was a War College Fellow at Stanford University and was the Army Chief of Staff's Senior Fellow to the Brookings Institution.
His last assignment was as Executive Officer to the Secretary of the Army.
He is married with two children.
- January 22, 2019Battalion uses innovative technology to promote fitness, resiliency
- January 23, 2019Army looks at more advanced exoskeleton technologies, options
- January 22, 2019Digital upgrades, new cockpit latest in Black Hawk improvements
- January 22, 2019Animal Care Specialist faces strong competition, takes second place
- January 22, 2019Multinational exercise encourages Soldiers to take on new roles, challenges
- January 17, 2019Digital environment teaches Soldiers lessons of modern battlefield
- January 18, 2019Wounded Warriors rely on music, camaraderie to heal
- January 22, 2019Brigade withstands training crucible, gears up for rotation
- January 18, 2019National Guard program emphasizes women's role in peace, security
- January 17, 2019King's teachings inspire general to be a better leader, person