Rediscovering Fort Knox: 1933 - Bomber testing over Fort Knox proved invaluable during WWII
By Matthew Rector, Fort Knox Cultural ResourcesMarch 9, 2018
A telephone switchboard operator and a portion of the "Red Air Force" was photographed at Fort Knox during Anti-Aircraft Artillery and Air Corps Exercises in May 1933.
Testing an air defense warning system proposed by Capt. Claire Lee Chennault, the AA-AC Exercises pitted new modern bombers against older and much slower biplanes. Friendly forces were based out of Dayton, Ohio, while the opposition forces, which included antiaircraft defenses, were based at Fort Knox. Observation posts were established between those locations.
When bombers were spotted, telephone operators at Fort Knox were notified of their location and airplanes were sent to intercept them. It was found that bombers could regularly be intercepted by these older airplanes and leaders concluded the cumbersome bombers would require friendly escorts for successful missions.
In the years following, the Air Corps would implement additional exercises for their bombers, which would be put to the test during the Second World War.
- September 17, 2018ASG-A eco-friendly ops return Soldiers to the fight
- September 14, 2018101-year-old former warrior, Fort Knox commander dies
- September 14, 2018Fort Knox JROTC organizing walkathon
- September 14, 2018Fort Knox program hosting volunteer recruitment, AFAP issue fair Sept. 20
- September 14, 2018Several hundred participate in annual Lifeline 5k Run/Walk at Fort Knox
- September 14, 2018Rediscovering Fort Knox: Post gets involved in Vietnam War
- September 13, 2018Honoring heroes with promise to 'never forget': Knox community attends Patriot Day event
- September 12, 2018Japan and Indiana Guard forge alliance through live-fire exercises and disaster response
- September 6, 2018Join Fort Knox Sept. 10 for World Suicide Prevention Day
- August 30, 2018Fort Knox joins the Space Race
- August 29, 2018Local Marines host tank gunnery competition at Fort Knox range
- August 29, 2018That's a Wrap! Saying Goodbye to CST 2018
- August 27, 2018Army Air Defenders Participate in Rim of the Pacific 18 Exercise
- August 27, 20184th Cavalry Brigade hosts Fort Knox Women's Equality Day celebration
- August 23, 2018Rediscovering Fort Knox: Fort Knox witnesses religious awakening during 1950s
- August 9, 2018Several participate in four-day Fort Knox emergency response exercise