Rediscovering Fort Knox: 1931-32, Camp Knox becomes Fort Knox, home of mechanized cavalry
By Matthew Rector, Fort Knox Cultural Resources OfficeFebruary 23, 2018
Upon the recommendation of Col. Daniel Van Voorhis and Lt. Col. Adna R. Chaffee, Jr., (photographed together later), Camp Knox was chosen to be the new headquarters for the Mechanized Cavalry in 1931. The size and terrain of Camp Knox made it a suitable area for training. In November that year, Van Voorhis moved the former Mechanized Force from Fort Eustis, Virginia, to Camp Knox and took command of the post and the new 1st Cavalry Regiment (Mechanized).
On Jan. 1, 1932, Camp Knox was made a permanent installation once again and has since been known as Fort Knox. In February, Brig. Gen. Julian Lindsey succeeded Van Voorhis as post commander. The view of the Post Chapel, then an auditorium, and surrounding area was taken from a water tower that same month.
- January 22, 2019Use your down time to get up: Office workout helps worker's heath, outlook and work environment
- January 21, 2019Two Fort Knox students among three applauded for equity poems at Martin Luther King Jr. observance
- January 18, 2019101st and 98th Expeditionary Signal Battalions Transfer of Authority Ceremony
- January 18, 2019Former Fort Knox High School principal, superintendent remembered as gentle giant
- January 18, 2019Keeping Camp Bondsteel up and running
- January 18, 2019300th Sustainment Brigade Run
- January 17, 2019Camp Zama boosting earthquake preparedness with Jan 23 'Shake Out Drill'
- January 17, 2019An unexpected Christmas card for the Holidays
- January 16, 2019Applying the rules of the roundabout to Fort Knox's Stithton Circle
- January 16, 2019Emergency Car Kit: Prepare to stick it out before you're stuck
- January 15, 2019Quarterly Fort Knox Community Information Exchange on Jan. 29
- January 14, 2019THE Judge Advocate General Visits Camp Arifjan
- January 9, 2019Fort Knox MEDDAC stages 'Biggest Loser' contest
- January 9, 2019Successful drop: Soldiers test low-cost parachute system
- January 8, 2019Fort Knox 2019 Volunteer of the Year nominations sought
- January 2, 2019Fort Knox Sergeant Audie Murphy Club will host Jan. 22 induction ceremony