Upon the recommendation of Col. Daniel Van Voorhis and Lt. Col. Adna R. Chaffee, Jr., (photographed together later), Camp Knox was chosen to be the new headquarters for the Mechanized Cavalry in 1931. The size and terrain of Camp Knox made it a suitable area for training. In November that year, Van Voorhis moved the former Mechanized Force from Fort Eustis, Virginia, to Camp Knox and took command of the post and the new 1st Cavalry Regiment (Mechanized).

On Jan. 1, 1932, Camp Knox was made a permanent installation once again and has since been known as Fort Knox. In February, Brig. Gen. Julian Lindsey succeeded Van Voorhis as post commander. The view of the Post Chapel, then an auditorium, and surrounding area was taken from a water tower that same month.