National forest established at Camp Knox for unrestricted use
By Matthew Rector, Fort Knox Cultural ResourcesFebruary 9, 2018
In the summer of 1925, President Calvin Coolidge authorized the establishment of national forests on six military reservations. Camp Knox was included in that number and was known as Knox National Forest.
The land was administered jointly by the Agriculture and War Departments, but retained unrestricted use by the military which was still training civilians and Soldiers from the Fifth Corps Area. At that time Camp Knox comprised 31,390 acres and all but 8,730 were designated for the forest.
A forest ranger, Lewis R. Smith, was placed in charge of the management. Revenue from timber sales and agricultural leases made the forest self-supporting, with a portion of the funds being returned to the counties where it was located.
In April 1928, the executive order for the establishment of the forest was rescinded and the designation came to a close. Also that year, fire destroyed the recently vacated Camp Knox Hospital and repairs to quarters began for the arrival of the Third Field Artillery to the post.
- September 20, 20182ID Hosts Final Camp Red Cloud Chuseok Reception
- September 17, 2018Camp Humphreys garrison hosts Information Fair for military community
- September 14, 2018101-year-old former warrior, Fort Knox commander dies
- September 14, 2018Fort Knox JROTC organizing walkathon
- September 14, 2018Fort Knox program hosting volunteer recruitment, AFAP issue fair Sept. 20
- September 14, 2018Several hundred participate in annual Lifeline 5k Run/Walk at Fort Knox
- September 14, 2018Rediscovering Fort Knox: Post gets involved in Vietnam War
- September 13, 2018Honoring heroes with promise to 'never forget': Knox community attends Patriot Day event
- September 10, 2018More than 60 year history in Seoul comes to a close as FED relocates to Camp Humphreys
- September 6, 2018Join Fort Knox Sept. 10 for World Suicide Prevention Day
- August 30, 2018Fort Knox joins the Space Race
- August 29, 2018Local Marines host tank gunnery competition at Fort Knox range
- August 29, 2018That's a Wrap! Saying Goodbye to CST 2018
- August 29, 2018Camp Smith school turns National Guard Soldiers from across northeast into infantrymen
- August 27, 20184th Cavalry Brigade hosts Fort Knox Women's Equality Day celebration
- August 23, 2018Team SMDC wins USAA/Broncos training camp competition