Scout Sunday celebrates 108 years of scouting in America
By Cub Scout Pack and Boy Scout Troop 457February 8, 2018
BRUSSELS -- Feb. 4 marked the 2018 Boy Scouts of America Scout Sunday, a kickoff event to celebrate 108 years of Scouting in America. Traditionally, this observance is held on the first Sunday prior to Feb. 8, a day that is meant to mark the founding of the scouting movement in the United States.Services like this were conducted by the Cub Scouts and Boy Scouts located around the globe. They offered an opportunity for their congregations to honor scouts and their leaders. In addition, the event highlighted the scouting movement and the value of scouting as a youth program.Dozens of local scouts and their families from Cub Scout Pack and Boy Scout Troop 457 gathered at the Community Chapel on U.S. Army Garrison Benelux in Brussels to observe the milestone event and Communion Sunday service under the guidance of former Boy Scout, Chaplain Rickey Brunson, and leadership of Elijah Morris, the troop chaplain's aide and first class scout.Brunson's message of selfless service and sacrifice was purposefully tied to the spirit of the Scout Oath and the 12 tenants of the Scout Law. His powerful message was conveyed through the heroic story of the four chaplains who gave their lives to save fellow service members when their transport ship was torpedoed by a German U-Boat. The story spoke about the importance of helping other people at all times by putting others' needs before self.In his sermon, Brunson acknowledged that as a Boy Scout, the Scout Oath was instrumental in his personal decision to become a chaplain and in his commitment to God and service to others."Events like this are meant to cause our Scouts and Scouters to reaffirm their commitment to the Scout Oath" said Jerry Beck, the Cub Scout Pack 457 committee chairperson. "I am so thankful for our local community and their continued efforts to support scouting at events like this."The crowning event marking the 108th anniversary of the Boy Scouts of America will be the annual Blue and Gold Banquet on Feb. 21 at 6:30 p.m. at the 3 Star Recreation Center in Brussels. For more information about the local scouting program or attending this event, please email event organizers at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- June 29, 2020Army leader grows from city roots
- June 12, 2020‘Boys are back in town’ Former A/353rd command team returns for Rotation 20-08
- June 11, 2020Social media to air Army’s virtual birthday tribute
- May 31, 2020Guard members in 24 states, D.C. called up in response to civil unrest
- May 28, 2020Spartans train to recertify on electronic warfare capabilities
- May 28, 2020West Point youth impresses, earns post BGCA Youth of the Year
- May 21, 2020Fort Leonard Wood cub scouts take virtual tour of fire station
- May 7, 2020Local Scouts, Cub Scouts adapt to COVID-19 distancing measures
- April 27, 2020NY's 42nd Infantry Division liberated Dachau 75 years ago
- April 27, 2020New York National Guard sustaining the fight against COVID-19
- April 27, 2020Scouts earn Eagle status, help beautify West Point
- April 21, 2020The Knead to Know Pizza restaurant is open for takeout at Fort Huachuca, Arizona.