Burke Center opens, provides fun space for kids
By Clint Stone |U.S. Army Garrison Humphreys Public AffairsFebruary 8, 2018
CAMP HUMPHREYS, South Korea -- The Burke SKIES Youth Center is the newest facility to begin operations here. Located in building 6317 on 11th street, this center provides dedicated recreation space and activities to the child and school aged population.
The SKIES program is sharing the facility with the Youth Sports Program and some Department of Defense Education Activity schools activities. With the gym being just a short walk from school campuses, this center is uniquely located to provide safe and supervised recreation activities to Humphreys' youth.
Currently hours of operations are limited to pre-scheduled classes and activities, but Alexander F. Tuuao an Instructional Program Specialist hints that there is more to come, "The Burke SKIES and Youth Center is currently being used for SKIES classes, SKIES instructional programs, they include: Ballet; Gymnastics; Taekwondo; we have Kumdo starting, Korean Folk Dance classes starting next month. And we are still recruiting for more instructors."
The center is also being used by Family and MWR's Youth Sports Program, the Humphreys High School Cheer-leading Program and Home School Physical Education and open recreation programs. With additional scheduled courses and free recreation times to be added soon.
The Burke Center currently offers a full size gymnasium with multiple use space, a dedicated tumbling room and rock climbing wall and a dance studio. There are plans in the works to add some additional age appropriate gymnastics equipment.
Madelyn Orr, a home schooled fourth grader had this to say about her new facility, "I like it here, we keep getting new equipment really easily." Orr is a Gymnastics' student.
When asked what advantages the new facility had over the old program, Tuuao had this to say, "Here we have a chance to make a bigger program, and they can all be in one bigger building."
If anyone has an activity or sport that they would like to see offered through the SKIES program, please contact Alex Tuuao at DSN: (315) 757-2246 or email to email@example.com.
"We are always listening to Parent's feedback, recently a lot of parents asked for parent bonding time with their children. After school free play time and open recreation time… so we are planning on incorporating that in the future," ended Tuuao.
- July 10, 2020AER Campaign extended through July 2020
- July 8, 2020First Outdoor Recreation trip immersive, enlightening
- July 8, 2020Help Heal Veterans sponsors Family MWR
- July 6, 2020Diamondbacks, ‘intrepid’ OPFOR take to skies
- July 2, 2020Holiday Activities on Fort Huachuca
- July 1, 2020Bingo halls, Marne Bowling Center reopen to guests
- June 23, 2020FamilyMWR to kick off 12-week esports tournament
- June 22, 2020Gary Sinise Foundation sponsors 245th Army Birthday Lunch
- June 19, 202066th MI thanks youth home for partnership
- June 16, 2020Fort Benning reopens gyms, pools, other services, but with COVID-19 precautions in place
- June 15, 2020Humphreys recreation centers welcome all
- June 11, 2020Fort Knox DFMWR makes it to 2020 National Gold Medal Awards for Excellence in Park and Recreation Management finals
- June 5, 2020Garrison CYS youths take first, second in European competition