Air Defense Soldiers and Orphans share a Holiday Season of a lifetime
By Story by Staff Sgt. Andre RussoDecember 22, 2017
The members of the Samurai battery responsible for maintaining a forward Army Navy/Transportable Radar Surveillance System, or (AN/TPY-2) took some time to give back to their local community.
The community outreach event was an opportunity that brought together the unit members of the Samurai battalion with the Koki-en Social Welfare Corporation Orphanage.
Staff Sgt. Ritchie Shonrasin helped organize the event code named 'Operation Samurai Santa.'
"Being away from family is hard enough, however, today we're able to come together during this event and create bonds and fellowship with our local community," said Shonrasin.
Together the Soldiers and its civilian members raised funds to provide 38 children, ages 3-17, with wish list gifts and stockings.
After a Christmas lunch and performance by the children of Koki-en, a special guest came to greet the children. Santa Claus passed out presents and stockings to the children.
"It was amazing to see the joy in the children's faces as we came together to celebrate the holidays and give them gifts, said Shonrasin.
Seeing their faces with pure joy was all worth it, he added.
Pfc. Timothy Yang, a new member to the unit, explains how the event was memorable for him.
"This was a really heartwarming event to be a part of; it reminds us to enjoy the little things in life."
Seeing the children enjoying their presents was the best part of the event, despite the language barriers, their smiles showed their gratitude and happiness, he added.
Since 2007, members of the Samurai battery have been celebrating the holidays through community outreach and look forward to continuing to support the local community in 2018.
- October 22, 2019Fort Knox CAC hosts three-day training event for CNO/CAO
- October 21, 2019FORSCOM donates computers to local school
- October 18, 2019Volunteers turn out for Albuquerque District National Public Lands Day events
- October 18, 2019Domestic violence event raises awareness at Hood Stadium
- October 16, 2019Fall recruiting events kick off across Aviation, Missile Center
- October 16, 2019Army, University of Texas partner to research future battery systems
- October 10, 2019Soldier overcomes fear of water decades after nearly drowning as a child
- October 10, 2019Vicenza For Children gets behind-the-scenes pass with U.S. Army on Caserma Ederle
- October 9, 2019Child, Youth Services winter sports signups open until Nov. 4
- October 9, 2019Spanish native guest speaker at Hispanic Heritage event
- October 7, 2019Fort Knox trick-or-treating hours, safety message and listing of other Halloween-related events
- October 7, 2019Dog visits Wiesbaden Library for PaWs read-aloud program
- October 1, 2019USAG Japan asserts importance of following child supervision policy
- September 30, 2019'Day for Kids' event at Camp Zama brings youngest community members together
- September 27, 2019Smoking in car with children now illegal in Belgium