Air Defense Soldiers and Orphans share a Holiday Season of a lifetime
By Story by Staff Sgt. Andre RussoDecember 22, 2017
The members of the Samurai battery responsible for maintaining a forward Army Navy/Transportable Radar Surveillance System, or (AN/TPY-2) took some time to give back to their local community.
The community outreach event was an opportunity that brought together the unit members of the Samurai battalion with the Koki-en Social Welfare Corporation Orphanage.
Staff Sgt. Ritchie Shonrasin helped organize the event code named 'Operation Samurai Santa.'
"Being away from family is hard enough, however, today we're able to come together during this event and create bonds and fellowship with our local community," said Shonrasin.
Together the Soldiers and its civilian members raised funds to provide 38 children, ages 3-17, with wish list gifts and stockings.
After a Christmas lunch and performance by the children of Koki-en, a special guest came to greet the children. Santa Claus passed out presents and stockings to the children.
"It was amazing to see the joy in the children's faces as we came together to celebrate the holidays and give them gifts, said Shonrasin.
Seeing their faces with pure joy was all worth it, he added.
Pfc. Timothy Yang, a new member to the unit, explains how the event was memorable for him.
"This was a really heartwarming event to be a part of; it reminds us to enjoy the little things in life."
Seeing the children enjoying their presents was the best part of the event, despite the language barriers, their smiles showed their gratitude and happiness, he added.
Since 2007, members of the Samurai battery have been celebrating the holidays through community outreach and look forward to continuing to support the local community in 2018.
- February 19, 2019Fort McCoy Soldiers help local couple with roadside assistance during below-zero weather
- February 19, 2019Cobra Battery completes Table XV qualification
- February 14, 2019Letterkenny Munitions Center commander speaks to local students
- February 13, 2019Guard leaders participate in STEM event, mentor students
- February 13, 2019Children's Dental Health Month: Healthy Smiles on Camp Humphreys
- February 11, 2019Joint culinary event set to begin March 9 at Fort Lee
- February 7, 2019Newly-renovated Hansen Center holds open house event Feb. 7
- February 7, 2019Local scouts support Warriors Walk
- February 7, 2019Army leadership mentors ROTC cadets at Jackson event
- February 1, 2019Family and MWR events, activities
- January 31, 20192-1 ADA's Bravo Battery hones air defense proficiency in FTX
- January 31, 2019Heart Health Month awareness events
- January 25, 2019Blanchfield staff deliver Flat Stanley adventures to partner school
- January 25, 2019Broken water pipe at Fort Knox CDC leads to adjustments in child care operations