Air Defense Soldiers and Orphans share a Holiday Season of a lifetime
By Story by Staff Sgt. Andre RussoDecember 22, 2017
The members of the Samurai battery responsible for maintaining a forward Army Navy/Transportable Radar Surveillance System, or (AN/TPY-2) took some time to give back to their local community.
The community outreach event was an opportunity that brought together the unit members of the Samurai battalion with the Koki-en Social Welfare Corporation Orphanage.
Staff Sgt. Ritchie Shonrasin helped organize the event code named 'Operation Samurai Santa.'
"Being away from family is hard enough, however, today we're able to come together during this event and create bonds and fellowship with our local community," said Shonrasin.
Together the Soldiers and its civilian members raised funds to provide 38 children, ages 3-17, with wish list gifts and stockings.
After a Christmas lunch and performance by the children of Koki-en, a special guest came to greet the children. Santa Claus passed out presents and stockings to the children.
"It was amazing to see the joy in the children's faces as we came together to celebrate the holidays and give them gifts, said Shonrasin.
Seeing their faces with pure joy was all worth it, he added.
Pfc. Timothy Yang, a new member to the unit, explains how the event was memorable for him.
"This was a really heartwarming event to be a part of; it reminds us to enjoy the little things in life."
Seeing the children enjoying their presents was the best part of the event, despite the language barriers, their smiles showed their gratitude and happiness, he added.
Since 2007, members of the Samurai battery have been celebrating the holidays through community outreach and look forward to continuing to support the local community in 2018.
- December 11, 2018Exercise Yama Sakura enhances U.S. and Japanese combat readiness
- December 7, 2018Arsenal holds annual tree lighting ceremony
- December 6, 2018Two Fort Sill Soldiers recognized as lifesavers
- December 6, 2018Ansbach military community hosts children's home youth
- December 5, 2018Family and MWR events, activities
- December 3, 2018In son's honor, Army family raises $42,000 to help grant wishes for children
- November 30, 2018Parent & Child with Dr. Mieke: Don't allow gift-giving, holiday shopping for children to break bank
- November 30, 2018Parent & Child with Dr. Mieke: Connecting with your kids during winter break
- November 30, 2018Local orphans await Santa's arrival in the Benelux
- November 29, 2018Retired CSM at Benning organizes annual hunt for Gold Star children
- November 27, 2018Angel Trees bring joy to children
- November 27, 2018D-2 THAAD Battery: First Gunnery Certification on Foreign Soil
- November 5, 2018Two events bring safety message to Arsenal adults and children