Air Defense Soldiers and Orphans share a Holiday Season of a lifetime
By Story by Staff Sgt. Andre RussoDecember 22, 2017
The members of the Samurai battery responsible for maintaining a forward Army Navy/Transportable Radar Surveillance System, or (AN/TPY-2) took some time to give back to their local community.
The community outreach event was an opportunity that brought together the unit members of the Samurai battalion with the Koki-en Social Welfare Corporation Orphanage.
Staff Sgt. Ritchie Shonrasin helped organize the event code named 'Operation Samurai Santa.'
"Being away from family is hard enough, however, today we're able to come together during this event and create bonds and fellowship with our local community," said Shonrasin.
Together the Soldiers and its civilian members raised funds to provide 38 children, ages 3-17, with wish list gifts and stockings.
After a Christmas lunch and performance by the children of Koki-en, a special guest came to greet the children. Santa Claus passed out presents and stockings to the children.
"It was amazing to see the joy in the children's faces as we came together to celebrate the holidays and give them gifts, said Shonrasin.
Seeing their faces with pure joy was all worth it, he added.
Pfc. Timothy Yang, a new member to the unit, explains how the event was memorable for him.
"This was a really heartwarming event to be a part of; it reminds us to enjoy the little things in life."
Seeing the children enjoying their presents was the best part of the event, despite the language barriers, their smiles showed their gratitude and happiness, he added.
Since 2007, members of the Samurai battery have been celebrating the holidays through community outreach and look forward to continuing to support the local community in 2018.
- October 17, 2018Vicenza offers lineup of Halloween events
- October 17, 2018Zama Trojans culminate week of school spirit with 38-6 homecoming win
- October 16, 2018Family and MWR events, activities
- October 16, 2018IRAHC Breast Cancer Awareness Month Event
- October 13, 2018Florida Guard provides food and water for local citizens
- October 12, 2018Military medical event builds capacity, strengthens partnerships
- October 11, 2018Quick deployment order challenges battery in race against time, resources
- October 11, 2018D/1-31st Field Artillery forges new BCT requirement
- October 10, 2018Military child explores Missouri while having ice cream with mayors
- October 9, 2018'Safe and Sound' week events at Fort Leonard Wood
- October 9, 2018Idaho National Guard lends a helping hand to local tribe
- October 5, 2018Retiree appreciation events announced for Benelux communities
- September 28, 2018School children meet U.S. Soldiers in India
- September 25, 2018Children's Museum of Tacoma brings a satellite museum to JBLM
- September 24, 2018Army Cyber holds workshop for local Iowa teens at CornCon