Thanksgiving Story Hour brings characters to life
By Sgt. Park, Min-jeDecember 14, 2017
USAG YONGSAN - The U.S. Army Garrison Yongsan Library hosts the 2017 Thanksgiving Storyhour, Nov. 4, at the Yongsan Library, inviting USAG Yongsan Commander Col. J. Scott Peterson and his spouse to read stories to more than 80 children and their parents.
"We designed the event to encourage children to develop their reading habits and early literacy," said Esther Kim, Yongsan Library supervisory librarian. "It was an excellent opportunity for the USAG Yongsan community children and their parents to meet with Col. and Mrs. Peterson, while celebrating Thanksgiving in the library with other military families."
The event kicked off with welcome remarks by Kim and an invocation by USAG Yongsan Chaplain Lt. Col. Terrell Jones. The Eighth Army Band Woodwind Quintet joined the program to provide cheerful music, further stimulating children's creativity.
Peterson read two picture books to an young engaged audience: "One is a feast for mouse: a Thanksgiving Tale," by Judy Cox and illustrated by Jeffery Ebbeler, and "A Turkey for Thanksgiving," by Eve Bunting and illustrated by Diane de Groat.
A special Thanksgiving meal and refreshments followed the reading, served by the Chaplain, library staff and volunteers.
In December 2017, the library will continue to provide other special programs including Christmas Storyhour and the Christmas Ball Clay Craft. Call the Yongsan Library at (DSN) 723-7380, or check the official USAG Yongsan Facebook for more details
- September 23, 2020USAG Japan opens environmentally friendly wash rack for military vehicles
- September 22, 2020USAG Okinawa garrison commander plants seeds of volunteerism
- September 22, 2020Project Inclusion at USAG Italy begins with “A Conversation on Race”
- September 17, 2020Apple Days: Learn all about apples with the USAG Bavaria Environmental Division
- September 17, 2020USAG Rheinland-Pfalz earns best garrison in Europe award
- September 15, 2020USAG Japan officials stress need for typhoon preparedness
- September 14, 2020Barracks renovations at USAG Wiesbaden improve Soldier quality-of-life, readiness
- September 11, 2020USAG Benelux remembers those lost on 9/11
- September 10, 2020‘Letters Across the Pacific’ creates connections for Month of the Military Child
- September 8, 2020Joint promotion ceremony special for Washington Guard family
- September 3, 2020USAG Italy recognizes National Preparedness Month
- September 1, 2020Learn the little cultural differences to make the most of your time in Germany
- August 21, 2020USAG Wiesbaden DES hosts First Responders Day parade