Honorable Victor V. Veysey (March 1975 - January 1977)
By U.S. ArmyOctober 30, 2017
Mr. Victor V. Veysey served as the first Assistant Secretary of the Army (Civil Works) (ASA (CW)) from March 1975 to January 1977. As the first ASA (CW), he set the standard for civilian oversight of the Corps during a very challenging period. Water and power projects were getting larger and, to help finance these projects and give local citizens more input into the Corps' projects, he identified cost sharing with local governments as an important issue. The environmental movement also matured and began influencing many Army decisions. He also played a major role in the negotiations that ultimately lead to the Panama Canal Treaty.
Prior to this position, Mr. Veysey was a Congressman in the U.S. House of Representatives from 1971 to 1975, representing the 38th and 43rd Districts of California.
Also under the purview of Mr. Veysey, were policy matters concerning the Army Corps of Engineers' regulatory authority with respect to construction work impacting "waters of the United States." Currently, Mr. Veysey is the Director of the Industrial Relations Center and Lecturer in Business Economics, Institute of Technology, State of California.
Mr. Veysey died on February 13, 2001.
- September 23, 2019New, State of the Art Medical Facility Dedicated to Late Army Medicine Leader
- September 19, 2019Civil-Military Cooperation teams find common ground in Rapid Trident 19
- September 12, 2019Exercise Regional Cooperation
- September 12, 2019Moving Wall delivers Vietnam Memorial's legacy to the North Country
- September 12, 2019Idaho Guard builds new road for the Shoshone-Paiute Tribe
- September 12, 2019Puerto Rico, Virgin Islands Guard units prepare for storm
- September 12, 2019The Army Reserve Caribbean Geographic Command has a New Commander
- September 12, 2019Civil Affairs Regiment Anniversary 2019
- September 12, 2019History of Army civil service grows in professionalism, opportunities
- September 12, 2019Assistant Secretary of the Army for Civil Works announces Regulatory Guidance Letter 19-02
- September 12, 2019Mr. Vance F. Stewart, III, DASA(M&B) Bio
- September 12, 2019Civil outreach strengthens relationships during Pacific Pathways Exercise Cartwheel
- September 12, 2019History of civil service shows growth in professionalism, opportunities
- September 12, 2019Wisconsin National Guard continues to respond to storms
- September 12, 2019Civil Air Patrol tests cadets' vigor at Fort Leonard Wood