Mechanical Cross Training
By SFC Charles HighlandOctober 26, 2017
CAMP TAJI, IRAQ --Soldiers from the 536th Support Maintenance Company are cross training the junior enlisted on equipment outside their chosen career field October 19, 2017 at Camp Taji, Iraq. This helps short staff unit's better serve the other unit equipment need in theater.
"We are a little short with people in our shop, so we have to be able to be self-sufficient during our mission so cross training helps," said Staff Sgt. Rolando Barcelon, 536th Support Maintenance Company. "Our company mission is for everyone to learn everyone else's job."
Teaching the junior enlisted on other equipment does not just help the shop but it also hands the torch to create future non-commissioned officers. Staff Sgt. Barelon is taking the time to teach a junior enlisted wheel mechanic on repairing generators.
"I think it's important I learn now as lower enlisted, because it gives me more time to learn more stuff as I go," said Pfc. Kandice Towner, 536th Support Maintenance Company. "Our NCOs are very encouraging as I get in there and learn as much as I can now."
"Seven or eight years ago I didn't know about trucks or ground support equipment but NCOs taught me how to fix everything else in the motor pool," said Barcelon. "It's a good feeling that I am helping a new soldier learn my job; it fulfills me as a NCO."
"It's very important to learn everything and get all the knowledge you can," said Towner.
The 536th Support Maintenance Company is the front line for mechanics. The equipment they work on today will head back up to the front tomorrow.
- October 9, 2020U.S. Army STAND-TO! | U.S. Army Cloud Plan
- October 2, 2020Army to discontinue Asymmetric Warfare Group and Rapid Equipping Force
- September 11, 2020Army Brain Operant Learning Technology competition accepting applications until Sept. 15
- May 1, 2020Army REF deploys thermal imaging sensors
- February 6, 2020Army Secretary Ryan D. McCarthy, other service secretaries, meet with housing executives
- January 21, 2020Army begins movement for Defender-Europe 20 exercise
- October 2, 2019Army senior leaders discuss progress in reforming the Military Privatized Housing Initiative
- September 12, 2019Army releases results of 2019 housing surveys
- September 12, 2019Military leaders meet with privatized housing company executives
- September 12, 2019Army leadership meets with privatized housing partner CEOs
- September 12, 2019Army Hosts Industry Day for Improved Medium Tactical Vehicles