Mechanical Cross Training
By SFC Charles HighlandOctober 26, 2017
CAMP TAJI, IRAQ --Soldiers from the 536th Support Maintenance Company are cross training the junior enlisted on equipment outside their chosen career field October 19, 2017 at Camp Taji, Iraq. This helps short staff unit's better serve the other unit equipment need in theater.
"We are a little short with people in our shop, so we have to be able to be self-sufficient during our mission so cross training helps," said Staff Sgt. Rolando Barcelon, 536th Support Maintenance Company. "Our company mission is for everyone to learn everyone else's job."
Teaching the junior enlisted on other equipment does not just help the shop but it also hands the torch to create future non-commissioned officers. Staff Sgt. Barelon is taking the time to teach a junior enlisted wheel mechanic on repairing generators.
"I think it's important I learn now as lower enlisted, because it gives me more time to learn more stuff as I go," said Pfc. Kandice Towner, 536th Support Maintenance Company. "Our NCOs are very encouraging as I get in there and learn as much as I can now."
"Seven or eight years ago I didn't know about trucks or ground support equipment but NCOs taught me how to fix everything else in the motor pool," said Barcelon. "It's a good feeling that I am helping a new soldier learn my job; it fulfills me as a NCO."
"It's very important to learn everything and get all the knowledge you can," said Towner.
The 536th Support Maintenance Company is the front line for mechanics. The equipment they work on today will head back up to the front tomorrow.
- August 11, 2020Organic Industrial Base ramps up to fight COVID-19
- August 11, 2020Back-to School Immunizations: What you need to know
- August 11, 2020Michigan company to dredge Ontonagon Harbor
- August 10, 2020Army advances learning capabilities of drone swarms
- August 10, 202020 future NCOs graduate from distance-learning Basic Leader Course at Camp Zama
- August 7, 2020The 311th Signal Command (Theater) Earns Army Superior Unit Award
- August 6, 2020Preparedness key when facing inclement weather, emergencies
- August 5, 2020Cadets learn to be resilient during two-week course
- August 4, 2020KFOR RC-E Soldiers deliver medical equipment to Zvecan clinic
- July 31, 2020‘LITTLE BIT OF EVERYTHING’ -- Fort Rucker museum offers portal into Army Aviation history
- July 30, 2020Day in the life of a courtesy patrol
- July 30, 2020Strike sends more than 1,300 pieces of equipment to JRTC
- July 28, 2020Army units learn wildland firefighting on JBLM