New ammunition agreement strengthens NATO partnership
By Mrs. Brittany Jones (21st TSC)October 3, 2017
MIESAU, Germany - The U. S. Army Europe and the Italian Ministry of Defense finalized a new agreement to utilize Italian resources to dispose of U.S. unserviceable, excess or obsolete ammunition at the Miesau Theater Storage Area, Sept. 27.The agreement came after the Italian Ministry of Defense and the Agency for Industrial Defense reached out to the U.S. Program Executive Office of Ammunition March 2017, to seek opportunities of partnership with their U.S. NATO ally.The 21st Theater Sustainment Command's Support Operations Munition Section and Host Nation Support met with the Office of Defense Cooperation and Italian MOD at the U.S. Embassy Rome, May 2017, where the agencies discussed demilitarization methods, transportation, storage, physical security and reporting methods."We look forward to growing our partnership with the Italian MOD/AID," said James Lane, theater demilitarization manager. "Leveraging the robust demilitarization facilities and technology the Italian MOD/AID possess, improves their processes and maintains a healthy ammunition stockpile for a Strong Europe."Following the meeting in May, it was determined utilizing Italian demilitarization facilities would be mutually beneficial, cost effective and would justify the preservation of essential defense resources, which was discussed as a key factor for U.S. security interests in Europe.
The week of the agreement signing, 21st TSC invited Brig. Gen. Massimo Lanza, Italian MOD and AID representative, for a two-day visit where he had the opportunity to meet with 21st TSC's Commanding General, Maj. Gen. Steven A. Shapiro to recognize the importance of the partnership and tour the Miesau Army Depot."This is an opportunity for Italian Defense Agency to use our capabilities not only for the Ministry of Defense but for our partners," said Lanza.
The first shipment of ammunition to Italy is scheduled for early November 2017.
- September 24, 2020Army seeks funding to modernize ammo manufacturing capabilities
- September 24, 2020For Massachusetts Soldier, path to military service was a spiritual one
- September 21, 2020Emily’s Way: Gold Star Mother shares daughter’s inspiring story
- September 24, 2020Three simple steps can help save someone from brink of suicide
- September 23, 2020‘Warrior’ leaders safely deploy to Leadership Training Program
- September 23, 2020Medical brigade supports COVID-19 drive-thru testing
- September 24, 2020Space Soldier mobilizes to fight pandemic
- September 23, 2020Army to host Tactical Assault Kit virtual workshop for industry, federal agencies
- September 22, 2020Holocaust survivor to receive top military police medal
- September 23, 2020DoD anticipates significant troop reduction in Afghanistan
- September 22, 2020Army-funded research may enable drones to run on any type of fuel
- September 22, 2020Approachable leaders vital to suicide prevention effort
- September 21, 2020Army Reserve welcomes incoming Soldiers amid COVID-19 restrictions