Driving to the Desert Green!
By SFC Charles HighlandSeptember 26, 2017
CAMP ARIFJAN, KUWAIT -- Lush greens, tall trees, water hazards and sand bunkers are all usually part of the game. The golf driving range on Camp Arifjan offers none of these except plenty of sand.
MWR invites U.S. and Coalition troops to practice their golf skills on the Bushwood Golf Course Driving Range. Hosting a longest ball driving competition is one way MWR brings people out to enjoy the facility.
"There are a bunch of us golfers out here deployed to Kuwait and when you see a golf range you get really excited," said Master Sgt. Paul Williams, USARCENT Theater Retention Manager. "You are able to swing the club and keep your swing together the whole year or however long you are deployed."
The driving range features a fully signed fairway over 200 yards. For those who would like to practice their chipping, the range does have some AstroTurf greens with flags to use as targets. Those people who do not have clubs or just wanting to see if golf might be their game clubs are available at the range.
"In your job we only get to be around so many people, but here I'm meeting new people all the time enjoying the same hobby we have back home," said Williams. "You are able to talk about golf, the game and strategy more while meeting new soldiers so it's a good deal."
The driving range is a big morale boost and offers a lot of comradery to help break up the monotony while you are here overseas.
- June 1, 2020NC National Guard helps conduct COVID-19 testing
- May 29, 2020Fort Bliss Range Control volunteers assist in making life-saving device for WBAMC
- May 27, 2020Health experts: Pandemic could drive fearful, bored to dangerous coping mechanisms
- May 26, 2020Military brothers compete in 'Titan Games' TV show
- May 23, 2020MWR highlights more Phase 1 openings
- May 22, 2020Fort Drum NEC members surprise colleague with drive-by retirement parade
- May 22, 2020Free drive-in movie for Fort Knox community will play May 28
- May 21, 2020Natural resources stun, transplant game fish
- May 21, 2020How the legacy of a fallen Soldier reminds us to do our best
- May 20, 2020USAG Bavaria MWR serves up socially distanced fun at the drive-in
- May 19, 2020Camp Zama celebrates National Day of Prayer with drive-in service
- May 18, 2020Former Picatinny Arsenal commander reflects on sweeping changes amid drive for Army modernization
- May 16, 2020Fueling Defender Europe 20-plus: Bartonville Army Reserve Soldiers delivering fuel and supplies in Poland
- May 15, 2020First Army and partnered units drive on with training through pandemic and quarantine
- May 7, 2020Disc golf offers a fun, healthy escape