Driving to the Desert Green!
By SFC Charles HighlandSeptember 26, 2017
CAMP ARIFJAN, KUWAIT -- Lush greens, tall trees, water hazards and sand bunkers are all usually part of the game. The golf driving range on Camp Arifjan offers none of these except plenty of sand.
MWR invites U.S. and Coalition troops to practice their golf skills on the Bushwood Golf Course Driving Range. Hosting a longest ball driving competition is one way MWR brings people out to enjoy the facility.
"There are a bunch of us golfers out here deployed to Kuwait and when you see a golf range you get really excited," said Master Sgt. Paul Williams, USARCENT Theater Retention Manager. "You are able to swing the club and keep your swing together the whole year or however long you are deployed."
The driving range features a fully signed fairway over 200 yards. For those who would like to practice their chipping, the range does have some AstroTurf greens with flags to use as targets. Those people who do not have clubs or just wanting to see if golf might be their game clubs are available at the range.
"In your job we only get to be around so many people, but here I'm meeting new people all the time enjoying the same hobby we have back home," said Williams. "You are able to talk about golf, the game and strategy more while meeting new soldiers so it's a good deal."
The driving range is a big morale boost and offers a lot of comradery to help break up the monotony while you are here overseas.
- October 22, 2020Top company-grade officers receive MacArthur leadership award
- October 22, 2020Fort Sill basic combat trainees issued new Army Green Service Uniforms
- October 21, 202025th ID instructor named a Facilitator of the Year
- October 22, 2020'SWAT team of nerds' tackles tough tech challenges
- October 22, 2020Soldier credits daughter for life-saving actions
- October 21, 20203D environments to play larger role in Project Convergence 2021
- October 21, 2020Army to widen reach of health study on COVID-19
- October 21, 2020Army engineers demonstrate selfless service post Hurricane Laura
- October 22, 2020DOD continues prioritizing families, people throughout pandemic
- October 20, 2020Progress marches on for more diverse Army
- October 20, 2020Army Reserve combat medic gets frontline experience
- October 20, 2020ReARMM to help stabilize training, modernization, mission requirements
- October 20, 2020Army Medicine Europe maintains robust COVID testing and reporting process