Driving to the Desert Green!
By SFC Charles HighlandSeptember 26, 2017
CAMP ARIFJAN, KUWAIT -- Lush greens, tall trees, water hazards and sand bunkers are all usually part of the game. The golf driving range on Camp Arifjan offers none of these except plenty of sand.
MWR invites U.S. and Coalition troops to practice their golf skills on the Bushwood Golf Course Driving Range. Hosting a longest ball driving competition is one way MWR brings people out to enjoy the facility.
"There are a bunch of us golfers out here deployed to Kuwait and when you see a golf range you get really excited," said Master Sgt. Paul Williams, USARCENT Theater Retention Manager. "You are able to swing the club and keep your swing together the whole year or however long you are deployed."
The driving range features a fully signed fairway over 200 yards. For those who would like to practice their chipping, the range does have some AstroTurf greens with flags to use as targets. Those people who do not have clubs or just wanting to see if golf might be their game clubs are available at the range.
"In your job we only get to be around so many people, but here I'm meeting new people all the time enjoying the same hobby we have back home," said Williams. "You are able to talk about golf, the game and strategy more while meeting new soldiers so it's a good deal."
The driving range is a big morale boost and offers a lot of comradery to help break up the monotony while you are here overseas.
- August 13, 20202-4th Field Artillery rallies to win Camp Casey softball title
- August 13, 2020The 42nd Infantry Division and 103 Years of Service
- August 13, 2020Stay safe on the road: Heed convoy, traffic-safety regs
- August 12, 2020Soldiers could teach future robots how to outperform humans
- August 11, 2020Khmer Rouge tragedy drives QM Soldier to greater service
- August 10, 2020Fort Drum unit plays key role in protecting America from ICBMs
- August 10, 2020Kansas Guard drives thousands of miles transporting samples
- August 5, 2020Resilient World Class Soldier-athletes train for Olympics despite COVID-19
- August 5, 2020Spartan Doctors Continue to Fight Against COVID-19
- August 5, 2020MP’s Deployed to KSA Certify to Enforce the Law
- August 4, 2020Supporting Warriors: Maneuver Operations
- July 30, 2020SMDC senior enlisted leader recognizes outstanding Soldiers
- July 30, 2020Motorcycle courses help Soldiers hone skills
- July 29, 2020Drawing on support — Garrison leaders donate blood at American Red Cross event