Transportation Sustaining Skills
By SFC Charles HighlandSeptember 5, 2017
CAMP BUEHRING, KUWAIT -- When reacting under fire you need skills to kick in and teamwork to become second nature. You can only get this from practice. Soldiers from the 548th Transportation Company test their shooting skills and teamwork in M-ATVs (MRAP All-Terrain Vehicle) on a range at Camp Buehring on August 28, 2017.
Col. Gregory Betts, the commander of the 371st Sustainment Brigade, and Command Sgt. Maj. Scott Barga, command sergeant major of the 371st Sustainment Brigade, were briefed on the exercise then watched as their down trace unit, the 548th Transportation Company, maneuvered MATVs into place and began an assault on the range.
"This training is to make sure our guys are comfortable with their weapons systems and test their proficiency as they are conducting a convoy live fire exercise," said 1st Lt. Maumagasiva Sou, range OIC for the 548th Transportation Company. "Also this enhances their ability to communicate as a team while they move down range."
The vehicles move forward, engaging targets as they pop up from cover. The crew works as a team, calling out each target to assist the gunner. As the team points out targets, the gunner must position the weapon and engage.
"This training will be really helpful in a combat situation," said Sgt. Cody Cook, a vehicle gunner for the 548th Transportation Company. "It's easy to get complacent and forget things so it's always good to get a little trigger time."
"The ultimate goal of this is to communicate well and work as a team, because one day we could be down range and conducting this real world," said Maumagasiva.
Live fire training gives soldiers the hands-on experience they need to be better prepared for combat.
- June 3, 2020Kansas National Guard medic comes to child's aid
- June 2, 2020The Culinary Outpost Food Truck Grand Opening
- June 2, 2020Martin speaks to Army’s newest Soldiers at BCT graduation
- June 1, 202019th Engineer Battalion bridging company finds new use in old tank ditch
- June 1, 2020SPIKE missile tested, leveraging Foreign Comparative Testing program
- May 29, 2020Fort Bliss Range Control volunteers assist in making life-saving device for WBAMC
- May 28, 2020USTRANSCOM assisted Americans stranded abroad – due to heightened COVID-19 travel restrictions – return stateside
- May 27, 2020Forty years have passed since the first women graduated from West Point in the Class of 1980
- May 27, 2020Stay safe during moving of household goods
- May 22, 2020Florida National Guard’s 144th Transportation Company assists local partners with CBTS Amelia Earhart Park
- May 22, 20201st Medical Brigade leader recognized by Dental Corps
- May 21, 2020Natural resources stun, transplant game fish
- May 20, 2020West Virginia National Guard testing inmates for COVID-19
- May 14, 2020Crane safety: Pre-operational inspections and safe operations
- May 11, 2020Iowa Army National Guard Soldiers assist local mobile food pantry