PEO Aviation product manager's value engineering proposal saves $36 million, earns DoD recognition
By Mr. Paul J Stevenson (PEO Aviation)August 1, 2017
A product manager with Program Executive Office, Aviation has been recognized by the Department of Defense for efforts to help the Army save millions of dollars.Alivio Mangieri, a branch chief in the Air Traffic Control product office, received a Value Engineering award at the Pentagon July 18 for developing a proposal to use government-owned software instead of an obsolete commercial derivative.
His value engineering proposal, Improve the Tactical Airspace Integration System, Air Defense System Integrator Software, implemented in September 2016, received the DoD VE award under the "Special" category. The proposal has a verified cost savings of $36.9 million over a six year period.Mangieri, who has been working with PM Aviation Systems since 2007, credits the efforts of the entire ATC product office in achieving the award."This is a team recognition award," Mangieri said. "The reward was a result of a dedicated and hardworking team at product office ATC."Mangieri is no stranger to the Value Engineering program. He successfully executed several VE initiatives while a member of Aviation Ground Support Equipment product office prior to moving to the ATC office. So even as he changed product offices he continued his value engineering efforts, reinvigorating the program within the ATC.Having served more than 13 years of federal service, Mangieri says what he likes about the job is everything he and his fellow workers accomplish ultimately helps the Soldier."I want to be all I can be for the Army," said Mangieri. "Everybody at PM Aviation Systems shares the same vision, and is dedicated to supporting our warfighters in the field."The VE awards are presented annually by the DoD Under Secretary of Defense for Acquisition, Technology and Logistics. The VE program is intended to improve products, systems and processes, with a focus on reduced cost, increased reliability and resolution of identified issues.
- June 2, 2020Silver Jackets team works with stakeholders to reduce natural hazards risks
- June 2, 2020COVID-19: It’s still risk management, part III
- May 30, 2020Bull Shoals Spillway releases May 26, 2020
- May 29, 2020Standardized professional driver certification a reality thanks in part to ATC engineer
- May 29, 2020Army IGs welcome newly minted officers
- May 28, 2020USACE employee receives award due to new contracting process deployed during flood efforts.
- May 28, 2020The Profession of Acquisition
- May 28, 2020Engineering Acquisition
- May 27, 2020Honolulu District hydraulic engineer named 2019 USACE Climate Champion Award winner
- May 27, 2020U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Far East District, completes construction of 3rd generation hardened aircraft shelters at Kunsan Air Base
- May 27, 2020Aviation, Missile Center engineer honored by alma mater
- May 26, 2020Army Aviation Upgrades the T700 Engine
- May 20, 2020Southern Resident Office foresees on-time completion for $54 million warehouse construction project
- May 19, 2020Growing tomorrow’s Army space operations officers