By Nikki Ficken, AMRDEC Public AffairsJuly 14, 2017
REDSTONE ARSENAL, Ala. -- The Aviation and Missile Research, Development and Engineering Command's Software Engineering Directorate has transitioned its 'America's Army: Proving Grounds' game from PC to video game console in the latest release. The U.S. Army will release the free AA:PG game July 18 on the PlayStation 4, or Ps4, console.
America's Army is developed out of the Army Game Studio, part of AMRDEC's SED at Redstone Arsenal, Alabama.
"The America's Army Game was created to give civilians an inside look at today's high-tech Army," said Deputy Director of Army Game Studio, Marsha Berry. "Originally launched on July 4, 2002, America's Army allows players to learn about being a Soldier by taking on the role of an American Soldier participating in force-on-force operations as part of a team. Successful completion of missions are centered around working together as a team, while utilizing the best equipment for each task."
"July 4th, 2017 was the 15th anniversary of the America's Army game," said Daniel Kolenich, executive producer for America's Army. "We're excited to bring the latest version of the game to modern consoles. Many gamers are moving from the PC to modern consoles as the newer generation of consoles advance in quality and features, especially with digital distribution of games."
America's Army: Proving Grounds is a free game on both the PC and Ps4 with no in-app purchases.
"Our goal is to reach the largest audience possible and the Ps4 is the best platform to reach the most players, especially in a first-person shooter game," Kolenich said. "While there are some players that have consoles and a gaming PC, we believe we will mostly reach new players that have not previously had access to our game."
The America's Army game features:
• Several training exercises designed to sharpen small unit maneuver skills. Exercises are small engagements of 8 players vs. 8 players. These fast-paced maps focus on teaching players how to work as a team and learn basic skills and maneuvers.
• Realistic equipment and military hardware, such as the M9A1 & M1911 Pistol, 870 MCS shotgun, M14EBR-RI sniper rifle, M24 sniper rifle, M4A1 and the M249 Saw. Players can also use the M67 fragmentation grenade, M106 Fast Obscurant Grenade and the M84 Stun Grenade, as well as optics, including the M68 Close Combat Optic; M553 Holographic Weapon Sight; M150 ACOG 4x Optic; Elcan M145 and Ghost Ring Sight.
• Players have the ability to apply medical aid to stop their own bleeding which allows them to maintain their health and stay in the game to complete the mission. Players can assist downed squad mates to bring them back into the fight.
• Integrated Voice Over IP for efficient team communication.
• Customization including the camo pattern of their team, the gear load-out of their Soldier and the ability to unlock weapon skins on their weapons and to obtain new optics.
About America's Army
America's Army products use innovative technology to provide authentic and entertaining Army experiences that reflect the lives, training, technology, skills, careers and values of a U.S. Army Soldier.
The flagship is the America's Army PC Game, the official game of the U.S. Army, which launched in July of 2002. The latest game in the AA Franchise, America's Army: Proving Grounds launched an open beta on PC in August of 2013 and was fully released in October 2015. The PC version can be downloaded for free from Steam. AA:PG is rated T for Teen.
The America's Army Comic series lets readers further explore the America's Army storyline and delve deep into character plots of Soldiers' lives when deployed and at home.
Learn more at www.americasarmy.com.
The U.S. Army Aviation and Missile Research, Development and Engineering Center is part of the U.S. Army Research, Development and Engineering Command, which has the mission to provide innovative research, development and engineering to produce capabilities for decisive overmatch to the Army against the complexities of the current and future operating environments in support of the Joint Warfighter and the Nation. RDECOM is a major subordinate command of the U.S. Army Materiel Command.