Summer Reading Program kicks off at Yongsan Library
By Cpl. Park, Min-jeJune 16, 2017
USAG YONGSAN -- The 2017 USAG Yongsan Library Summer Reading Program kickoff party took place June 3, at the Yongsan Library. UNC/CFC/USFK Commander Gen. Vincent K. Brooks and his spouse, Dr. Carol Brooks, were invited to read a storybook to the children. More than 150 children and parents came to the event to enjoy story hour. The Seoul American Middle School string ensemble provided music to brighten up the atmosphere. After the story hour, refreshments were served.
According to Esther Kim, Yongsan Library supervisory librarian, the Summer Reading Program was designed to encourage children and students to keep reading books during the summer vacation.
"If children don't read any books throughout the summer, they are extremely likely to lose their learning ability and fall behind their peers after they get back to school," Kim said. "It's highly encouraged for children to read at least six books during their vacation. The summer reading program will help children to reach that goal, and this is why the program is important."
The Summer Reading Program started June 1 and ends July 18. This year's theme is "Reading by Design." The program will continue through June 20, July 11, and July 18. For more information, please contact the Yongsan Library at 723-7380.
- September 17, 2020Geospatial engineer fills key role in Kosovo deployment
- September 14, 2020Yuma Proving Ground’s summer intern program helps keep graduates in our community
- September 10, 2020Summer interns assist Picatinny Arsenal STEM team with creation of new online game
- September 10, 2020Fort Leavenworth's summer transition season overcomes challenges
- September 10, 2020‘Letters Across the Pacific’ creates connections for Month of the Military Child
- September 9, 2020Medal of Honor: Amid intense gunfire, Soldier risked life to save hostages from ISIS
- September 8, 2020Joint promotion ceremony special for Washington Guard family
- September 4, 2020At-risk youth get second chance with help from Texas Guard
- September 3, 2020Last minute summer activities to enjoy before the season change
- August 26, 2020Steering toward safety: Fort Drum children have fun, learn proper riding skills at FMWR Bike Rodeo
- August 25, 2020Keeping your pets safe this summer