By Mr. Tony Lopez (AMC)June 14, 2017
MIDDLETOWN, Iowa. -- In an effort to reduce fixed installation costs, achieve energy savings, and prepare for modernization opportunities, the Iowa Army Ammunition Plant has demolished some obsolete infrastructure supporting the Army's facility reduction efforts.
In 2004, the Army began efforts to simplify and streamline facility removal efforts. Facility removal has expanded to include re-location of transportable facilities and disassembly of metal structures, therefore, providing the Army with opportunities for recycling and re-use of materials.
In fiscal years 2004 through 2015, the Army removed more than 22 million square feet from real property inventories with an overall landfill diversion by weight of 70 percent. In total, the effort has removed approximately 5,000 facilities, ancillary structures, towers, water tanks, power plants and bunkers, and six million square feet of paving at Army facilities. The Army effort requires installations to develop lists of removal candidates, prepare statutorily required documentation and perform pre-demolition environmental surveys, in addition to removing excess facilities or inventory.
Currently, the IAAAP Operating Contractor, American Ordnance, LLC., is executing the contracts supported by Picatinny Arsenal's Layaway of Industrial Facilities Program. There are multiple production, production support, and general area buildings at IAAAP that the original construction dates more than 70 years of age.
The LIF program, managed by the Office of the Project Director, Joint Services, allows for preserving, storing and moving of real-property facilities and equipment no longer required to support current production but must be retained in anticipation of future requirements. In addition it provides the funds for the decontamination and disposal of facilities and equipment no longer required for current or future production.
"We are making every effort to add additional buildings to the demo list," said Stefanie Ruiz, Project Officer, Project Director Joint Services, Picatinny Arsenal. "Approximately ten million dollars has been spent on demo at IAAAP to date and this is all part of the plan to reduce the overall footprint."
Iowa Army Ammunition Plant completed Phase 1 and has begun Phases 2 and 3 facility demolition projects, eliminating 117 structures totaling over 102,000 square foot to date. This effort is in support of Headquarters, Department of the Army, and Army Materiel Command's facility footprint reduction strategy. Elimination of excess buildings supports readiness by reducing facility overhead costs and increasing available space to construct modernized production facilities to meet Warfighter ammunition requirements within existing explosive safety arcs. Phase 2 and 3 contracts have been awarded to demo an additional 105 buildings totaling 174,000 additional square feet. Phase 2 is expected to be completed by September 2017. Five total demolition phases are currently planned.
The IAAAP, located in Middletown, Iowa, has 19,011 acres with 767 buildings, 271 igloos and a storage capacity of 1,100,775 square feet. It has 143 miles of road infrastructure and 102 miles of railroad track.
Through the modernization process Randy Doyle, the Environmental Coordinator for IAAAP, creates a list of potential buildings or infrastructure to be demolished and recycled. "All of these buildings are well past their economic and normal service life," said Doyle. The Army initiative postures the plant's infrastructure to become more modern and efficient and allows the Army to support the Joint Warfighter's future ammo requirements.
"This effort has allowed us to reduce our operating costs," said Lt. Col. Stephen Koehler, IAAAP Commander. "It definitely makes sense to demolish obsolete infrastructure during this era of reduced budgets."
Through this cooperative effort, nearly 120 buildings have been demolished at the plant to date, which has produced an 80 percent diversion by weight, or 7,100 tons of recycled material, by following all environmental assessments. Plans have also identified an additional 104 buildings, which are currently funded, with a targeted total of more than 300 structures demolished.
The Iowa Army Ammunition Plant loads, assembles, and packs medium - and large-caliber ammunition for the Department of Defense, using modern production methods in support of worldwide operations.
The IAAAP was established in November 1940, as the Iowa Ordnance Plant and started production in 1941. Production was stopped in 1945, when World War II ended. The plant resumed its ammunition manufacturing mission in 1949. In 1950, in response to the Korean conflict, production increased dramatically. In 1975, the Army assumed responsibility for IAAAP. It is one of 16 organic industrial base facilities managed by the Joint Munitions Command.
JMC produces small-, medium- and large-caliber ammunition items for the Department of Defense. JMC is the sustainment and logistics integrator for life-cycle management of ammunition and provides a global presence of technical support to U.S. combat units wherever they are stationed or deployed.