58th Annual Torrance Armed Forces Days
By Kenneth DrylieMay 23, 2017
Torrance, Calif -- The City of Torrance paid tribute to the five branches of the military during the 58th Annual Torrance Armed Forces Days Celebration, May 19-21. This year the honored service was the US Air Force.
The 2017 parade Grand Marshal was Gen. Ellen Pawlikowski, commander of Air Force Materiel Command at Wright-Patterson AFB in Ohio. Actor Anthony Denison (Major Crimes, The Closer) served as the Honorary Grand Marshal.
The celebration began on May 19 with the opening of displays from all five branches at the Del Amo Fashion Plaza.
The National Training Center and Fort Irwin was represented by Soldiers and equipment from the 11th Armored Cavalry Regiment, the 916th Support Brigade and Operations Group. Equipment included the M-1 Abrams Main Battle Tank, the M2 Bradley Infantry Fighting Vehicle, M88 Hercules Recovery Vehicle and the UH60 Blackhawk Helicopter.
Also featured in the display area was a display from the US Army Garrison's Department of Public Works. The display educated the public on conservation and environmental projects at the sprawling desert base.
The City of Torrance is designated by the U.S. Department of Defense to host an Armed Forces Day celebration with the Torrance Armed Forces Day Parade as a highlight. The Parade has the distinction of being the nation's longest running military parade sponsored by any city.
The 2018 celebration will take place May 18-20. The honored service will be the US Marine Corps.
- July 7, 2020501st Military Intelligence Brigade Holds Memorial for Mark Crisman
- July 6, 2020Lombardo takes responsibility of Combined Arms Center-Training
- July 6, 2020CELEBRATING FREEDOM -- Fort Rucker July 4 celebration a big hit for attendees, officials
- July 6, 2020Garrison celebrates nation’s independence with drive-in fireworks event
- July 1, 2020Berm construction completes last repair phase for dam rehabilitation
- July 1, 2020Chief Warrant Officers reflect on careers, cohort ahead of 102nd birthday
- July 1, 2020Arizona National Guard builds on Navajo military legacy
- July 1, 2020Tripler celebrates 100 years of trusted care
- July 1, 2020Do's and don'ts for displaying Old Glory
- June 29, 2020U.S. Army Medical Service Corps: Supporting the Army since 1917
- June 27, 20204th Cavalry Brigade welcomes new commander during pandemic
- June 26, 2020JBLM celebrates the class of 2020
- June 26, 2020Army researchers establish mixed reality working group
- June 19, 2020Graduating seniors celebrate at Fort Drum with commencement parade
- June 16, 2020Fort Rucker to host Celebration and Home Town Parade event July 4