Put your best fork forward
By Sherry NealMarch 1, 2017
FORT LEONARD WOOD, Mo.-- The theme for 2017 National Nutrition Month is "Put Your Best Fork Forward," encourages eating a variety of healthy foods each day. It encourages focusing on small steps in healthy living and setting realistic goals. Healthy ideas to focus on this year are making diet changes that will help you limit added sugars, sodium, and solid fats. Registered Dietitians serve as the subject matter experts to help you create an eating style that includes a variety of your favorite healthful foods.In celebration of NNM, the General Leonard Wood Army Community Hospital's Nutrition Care Division is hosting activities to emphasize this year's theme and encourage healthy lifestyle changes.• March 3-31: NCD is hosting a step challenge within the hospital departments. The department with the highest total average steps per number of participants will win a prize.
• Each Tuesday (March 7, 14 and 21) from noon to 1 p.m. NCD will host a jeopardy game during lunch in the hospital dining facility. Categories will be related to nutrition and physical activity.
• March 6, and 20: A RD will be visiting installation dining facilities from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. to help promote nutrition and physical activity.
• March 3 and 24: A RD will host kid-friendly nutrition education and activities discussing the sugar content of drinks and snacks for the post Child Development Center and Center for Youth Services.
• March 13: NCD will participate in a Healthcare Consortium Nutrition Brief.
• March 17: NCD is teaming up with the Fort Leonard Wood BOSS program for a commissary tour, at 9 a.m. at the Commissary. Take a walk with the RD through the commissary for help making tasty and healthy food choices while shopping.
• March 23: An interactive booth will be set up in the hospital dining facility with will feature information about spices with tips for creating flavorful meals as well as an interactive "Guess the Spice" game from noon to 1 p.m.. This booth will assist in providing practical applications for using spices in daily meal planning.
• March 28: The Nutrition Care Division is hosting a food show highlighting the National Nutrition Month theme of Put Your Best Fork Forward! Come sample delicious foods that fit as part of a healthy lifestyle from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. in the hospital dining facility.
• March 31: An interactive booth will be set up in the hospital dining facility noon to 1 p.m. This booth will assist in providing practical applications for performance nutrition, including optimal nutrient timing for the best physical activity outcomes and performance.The NNM campaign and activities planned by NCD focus attention on the importance of making informed food choices and developing sound eating and physical activity habits. The theme of "Put Your Best Fork Forward" is a reminder that each bite counts. Making small changes in our food choices can add up over time, leading to a lifestyle of healthy choices.All events are open to family members, military members, retirees and government service employees. Contact NCD at 573-596-1762 for more information.
(Editor's note: Sherry Neal is a Registered Dietitian, Licensed Dietitian at General Leonard Wood Army Community Hospital)
- September 11, 202094th AAMDC Soldiers display resilience during Covid-19
- September 10, 2020U.S. Army Reserve announces 2020 Best Warrior Competition Winners
- September 3, 2020Fort Sill access procedures explained to community
- September 3, 2020Displays feature health center’s namesake
- September 3, 2020Fort Leavenworth units, organizations shift to virtual operations
- September 3, 2020Study prompts re-emphasis on alcohol abuse treatment options
- September 1, 2020Dual-Army Reserve Couple Encourages Healthy, Rewarding Activities for Their Children
- September 1, 2020Corps continues march toward diversion completion
- August 31, 2020Nevada Guard assists rural county lacking hospital, health clinic
- August 26, 2020Medical Center of Excellence and Martin Army Community Hospital partner to expand Physical Therapist training
- August 19, 2020BACH recognizes namesake Blanchfield for Women’s Equality Day
- August 19, 2020Army oral surgeon part of medical deployment to Ethiopia
- August 10, 2020Cell service expands at LRMC with addition of towers